Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 28th, 2012 11:00

Dell inspiron 15r se 7520 switchable graphics problem

Hello,

I just got a laptop Inspiron 15R SE 7520 and I'm having some graphic card issue. Technically I was suppose to have the AMD graphic card working, but when I look at the configurations I see 2 video cards: One that is an Intel HD integrated card and the AMD. The one that it's working is the Intel. How do I make the AMD work instead?

Thanks,

Shanthosh

16 Posts

October 31st, 2012 19:00

I are not the first one. We all have the same problem. Switchable graphics just don't work properly. I sincerely hope that Dell will fix this with BIOS update soon.

6 Posts

November 7th, 2012 11:00

If I have ever seen this (and plenty of other) thread before I bought this laptop.... should have stayed with HP and Nvidia...

How is it possible that other AMD switchable GPUs work fairly well?

120 Posts

November 8th, 2012 12:00

How is it possible that other AMD switchable GPUs work fairly well?

Switchable GPUs don't work well at all.

We should've avoided it in the first place.

November 11th, 2012 19:00

yes you are right. No one would buy a 60-70k laptop and save the battery. If we have paid so high for the hardware, then it is meant to perform.

Else it's just like buying an CNG version of a high end luxury car and never switching it to petrol just because it consumes more.

I request Dell engineers to please update the BIOS so that we can manually shut off the INTEL HD 4000 graphics.

Thanks.

8 Posts

November 12th, 2012 06:00

As DELL-Rajath N posted earlier in this thred, it is a muxless hybrid graphic laptop, as all newer laptops. This means it is not possible for dell to provide a bios option for disabling the onboard intel gpu, because the igpu is needed for the dedicated gpu to work. The only option you had was to buy a laptop with nvidia hybird graphic, which seems to work without the problems amd hybrid graphics have. the only problem i had, was solved by bios version a04. so i recommend to update the bios to the newest version (a07 i think).

1 Message

November 16th, 2012 01:00

Hi, Dell Inspiron 15R all software. I think I solved the problem.

3 Posts

November 16th, 2012 04:00

How ?? WHat did you do to resolve it ?

1 Message

December 12th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

I'm playing Hitman absolution and i use amd catalyst to switch to ati graphics, it is said high performance for the game but it is not so smooth when i play game. i get out of the game and the amd catalyst shows not assigned for the hitman absolution. I have the same problem with Most wanted 2. Can you show me how to solve this problem

Thanks

1 Message

December 17th, 2012 06:00

hi i just want to know about dell inspiron 15r se with i7,8gb of ram,amd hd7730 ,750gbhard disk doeshave any problem with graphics switching??? please do replyyy becoz i am planning to buy this product..

thank you 

18 Posts

December 17th, 2012 08:00

15r se with i7,8gb of ram,amd hd7730 ,ITB hard disk

My Laptop works perfectly, switches between graphics cards with ease, as long as you leave the original drivers alone then not an issue.

The dell drivers are fast and without issue, as soon as you try to upgrade the drivers form 3rd partie fenders then the problems begin.  I have Run SKYRIM full settings 40 50 FPS no problem, FarCry 3 30 - 40 FPS no problem, Cryis 2 no problem and FSX no Problem.  if you do install any other drivers then use driver sweeper first, this will clean the conflict of other drivers.

Always insure to configure the switchable graphics first (ie) right click on desktop, switchable graphics will appear then browse to the game you wish to run once selected highlight high performance (red) or powersave (green) if  select powersave the laptop will use HD4000 and if you select High performance the 2gb hd 7730 fast Graphics card will work.

The only issue is it will not work with older games like, Flight sim century of flight ect.. but these games run fast on HD4000.

I can reccommend this laptop, it's fast and easy to get on with.

December 26th, 2012 11:00

There is no 'Select the graphics processor manually or based on power source' option in my new dell 7520 special edition Catalyst control centre

what to do??

18 Posts

December 26th, 2012 14:00

Always insure to configure the switchable graphics first (ie) right click on desktop, 

1. SELECT SWTCHABLE GRAPHICS,

2. CATALYST CONTROL CENTER OPENS, YOU ARE THE PRESENTED WITH OPTIONS, RECENT APPLICATIONS AND OTHER APPLICATIONS.

3. CLICK ON BROWSE, BROUSE TO THE GAME OR APPLICATION YOU WISH TO USE WITH ATI RADEON HD7730 OR HD 4000 GRAPHICS.

4. SELECT THE *.EXE FILE OF THE GAME OR APP. (IE) SKYRIM.EXE

5 ONCE SELECTED, THEN YOU CLICK ON THE TAB NOT ASSIGNED (YELLOW). IF IT IS RED THEN IT IS PRE-CONFIGURED.

6 YOU NOW HAVE TO PICK THE GRAPHIC'S CARD YOU WANT (EXAMPLE RED= ATI RADEON HD7730 or Green  = Power save HD 4000 GRAPHICS).  It dosen't actually state the graphic;s processor, RED = ATI RADEON HD7730, and GREEN = Power save HD 4000 GRAPHICS.

This is really easy and you will get to grips in no time.

PLEASE NOTE IF YOU CAN NOT ASSIGN A GRAPHIC'S PROCESSOR AND THE TAB STAYS YELLOW THEN THE CAUSE IS TWO THINGS

1. Game or app not supported

2. Re-install the original Graphic drivers supplied from dell.

PLEASE ALLSO NOTE YOU CAN ONLY USE THE DRIVERS THAT DELL SUPPLIED NOT THE ONES FROM AMD OR ATI

PLEASE ALSO NOTE MAKE SURE YOUR POWER PLAN IS HIGH PERFORMANCE BOTH FOR BATTERY AND PLUGED IN.

December 27th, 2012 01:00

What if I want to run on 7730 permanently? I want to have good ratings on the laptop. Suggest a way to permanently switch to amd.

Also I want to check if amd 7730 is actually present in my laptop. How to do that? Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 27th, 2012 04:00

There is no way to run the system on the AMD video all the time.  It's just not designed to run that way.

All models of this system have the AMD video chip.

18 Posts

December 27th, 2012 11:00

To Check the HD 7730 IS Present....

1, Start Menu, right click in computer, window opens, left click on device manager,

2. Once opened, collapse Display Adapters, you will then see 2 graphic's card ATI and Intel.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!