Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 28th, 2012 11:00

Dell inspiron 15r se 7520 switchable graphics problem

Hello,

I just got a laptop Inspiron 15R SE 7520 and I'm having some graphic card issue. Technically I was suppose to have the AMD graphic card working, but when I look at the configurations I see 2 video cards: One that is an Intel HD integrated card and the AMD. The one that it's working is the Intel. How do I make the AMD work instead?

Thanks,

Shanthosh

3 Posts

December 31st, 2012 21:00

This post/above post is intented for DELL-Rajath N, not Shanthosh.

3 Posts

December 31st, 2012 21:00

Hello Shanthosh,

I can do everything except #7. There is no option to select "high-performance GPU" or any other option. Clicking apply doesnt provide you with any visual Q that the changes actually went through - IE you can click it as many times as you want but it doesnt gray out or anything between changes to let you know it's accepted changes or not.

Also, if I select "select the graphics processor based on application needs" it doesnt ever retain any applications that I add, and again, the control center gives no indication that anything has happened when I click "apply" other than the button moving slightly. I'm not sure it's actually saving the application settings at all - in fact I know it is, I cant even add more than one at a time and like I said - no idea if clicking apply is doing anything.

I updated the catalyst control center drivers for this laptop a few minutes ago to the most recent version via the Dell website. I updated DirectX as well.

Any ideas?

Bcooper

January 1st, 2013 21:00

A tool called System monitor can be used to check the performance information of AMD GPU.

It is a utility tool provided by AMD for realtime hardware monitoring.

It shows stats regarding the GPU and CPU usage.

It's a free download for AMD GPU equipped devices from AMD site.

Regards!

8 Posts

January 16th, 2013 11:00

You are absolutly right. Please make a working Bios

2 Posts

January 24th, 2013 15:00

I agree that there is a desperate need b Dell to release a BIOS update that allows us all to disable the onboard graphics. I for one have not bought a machine with a decent graphics card in to be told time and time again by various games that they can't be run due to a lack of video card.

Come on Dell get your act together. That or someone please create a program to over ride this stupid situation we all find ourselves in.

8 Posts

February 1st, 2013 21:00

I am horrified

None of my PC games are working on this brand new 7520 with Radeon 7730

because they can not see and use the graphic card despite I set the programs and games to use performance graphics  in the switchable graphics section one by one

I updated the bios from Dell website

I updated the AMD drivers

I made sure games are set to use performance graphics in the switchable graphics program

none has worked so far

My 7 year old Vostro1500 with 256MB graphic card works much better than this , ohh God !

good thing is, I found out about this problem quickly and I am returning the laptop tomorrow

believe me, you can buy a $200 netbook with integrated graphic card and still performs better than this inspiron 7520

13 Posts

February 2nd, 2013 09:00

Hi Joe9756,

You're so lucky man. Return it without any doubt, believe me. :emotion-2:

It is sad to say but my old Latitude D630 works aswell much better than this Inspiron 7520.

Have a look to that thread: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19488314.aspx

I think that after reading this, I do not need to convince you about returning your laptop.

Regards,

February 14th, 2013 10:00

^^above for shanthosh

February 14th, 2013 10:00

Inspiron 15R N5110 with amd 6470m here

I have a problem with this part of catalyst control center, and cannot find help anywhere else. 

After step 6, my screen flickers, goes to windows basic mode, and then immediately switches back to 'auto-detect' 

Ive done many uninstall and reinstall attempts, driver and bios updates, and I still have the same problem

272 Posts

February 14th, 2013 22:00

I have posted about this problem with INTEL/AMD drivers in another thread around here << you should read this whole post.. In there I gave a suggestion on how to fix it with those asking the same questions that you are here in this thread anyone taking the suggestion returned to say  THANK YOU! so I guess it works. ;)

Here's what was suggested if you didn't bother reading the thread above, still suggest you do as it clears up a bunch of questions always asked about the Intel/AMD graphics setup.

As this is a public forum, and I'm not a Dell employee may I suggest anyone reading this and having issues with their Intel/AMD switchable graphics go to this site here ->  http://leshcatlabs.net  

Read what the site has to offer, it is up to you if you wish to chose this route to get your systems working the way they should be working or just wait on Dell to eventually come around and fix it for you.

If you chose this route, please PLEASE read the Leshcat UnifL Driver Manual Completely Top to Bottom including the FAQ section first if you want it to work and not have any issues during the install or there after once you have it installed - the manual is available here.

You need to completely uninstall all the video drivers you have now before installing the Leshcat package. 
So if you do, please ensure that you have a good system backup and that you are able to do a full system restore in case you run into trouble. 

Leshcat has been putting out drivers for this Intel/AMD mess for quite some time and his drivers are always up-to-date.  Again read his site, read what people post back and you'll get a better understanding of it all.

Good Luck and Cheers

Side Note:

For those saying fix the BIOS so you can disable the Intel HD you really really need to read up on what Discrete Video cards are and how Switchable graphics  now works before complaining about something you don't know about. 

This isn't MUX (Physically Switched) graphics of yesteryear  where both video cards where fully functional video cards in your systems, and the MUX switched the Display Ports between the cards.

This technology is now Mux-less there is not physical switch (reason why you don't see the flicker/display black out anymore).
The  Intel HD (Integrated Graphics Processor) can't be switched off, it needs to be active at all times because its the only GPU that can send any and all output to any physically attached display on your system.  The Intel HD card can do Rendering and it's the only unit that can control the physical Display Ports, where as the AMD Discrete Card can only perform Rendering it has no Display port capabilities, it must send the rendered output to the Intel HD card for it to be displayed.

How is it supposed to work:
The Catalyst Driver selects when an application would benefit from being rendered on the AMD GPU over the Intel HD, it wasn't until AMD released their 12.11 Beta Bios back in October of 2012 that they actually got it to work where YOU as the user could go into the Catalyst Control Center and force select applications use the AMD GPU over the Intel IGP or vise-versa.

Google AMD Enduro Technology  or read my Link to the other post above, pretty sure I put a link to where you can find that information.

Current AMD released drivers are 13.1, that incorporated all 12.11 Beta Features as well as making improvements.
13.1 added the Enduro UI to CCC much better control over what GPU to use now.

Also Note, Those complaining about games running bad - if you read AMD's release notes you'll notice that when new drivers come out they state "Such and Such Game now has a performance Improvement over 60%"  so keep an eye on the release notes over at AMD if you think your game is running like dirt.

Hope the information I provided helps.

Again Cheers All!

18 Posts

February 16th, 2013 15:00

I had the same problem and I installed this Video_AMD_W7_A01_Setup-N8PHN_ZPE from dell's website, then installed this Catalyst_13.1_WHQL_UnifL_V2.1 make sure you select update and after the installation completes all will be working with the Catalyst_13.1_WHQL_UnifL_V2.1 drivers

I play FSX and X-Plane 9 and 10 all works as it should.  Also the OpenGL works perfectly on google earth.

8 Posts

February 16th, 2013 16:00

I did everyting you said again, now i have exacly the same result like i had half an hour before. Nothing has changed. 

I think of format my system, install a new windows and then start install every driver again.

I see that the GPU is working but the picture quality is awfull. 

Can you select the AMD card on the FSX graphic setup from the drop down list?

February 17th, 2013 04:00

Couldn't agree with you more. In fact after updating the drivers, even the games which used to work do not (e.g. FIFA 13) and even 1080p videos aren't smooth anymore.

8 Posts

February 17th, 2013 06:00

I attempted to return the laptop (15R , 7520)

They offered me $82 refund, I accepted.

Total cost of the laptop has  come down to $731

This is the system I had:

SYSTEM Inspiron 15R Notebook (Inspiron 7520)

PROCESSOR 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM (6MB cache, up to 3.2Ghz)

OPERATING SYSTEM Windows 8, 64-bit, English

MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz

HARD DRIVE 750GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive

VIDEO CARD AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M 2GB

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

I just sold it on EBAY for $820

This is a flawed design, Dell knows it, they don't want to receive returns because the laptop will soon be known by its flaws all over the internet.

Dont listen to knuckleheads on this forum, there is no solution for graphics problem.

Sell it, cut your losses.

18 Posts

February 17th, 2013 10:00

Inspiron 15R Notebook (Inspiron 7520) Good frame Rates on Catalyst_13.2_Beta5_UnifL_PT in HD 1900X1080P

No Events found!