Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2016 13:00

Dell inspiron 5558 audio problem with windows 10

i upgraded windows from 8 to 10 and the audio speaker is not working, even when i uninstalled the driver and re-installed it, also i tried to upgrade it but nothing works 

headphone is working fine 

note : speakers are working on Ubuntu 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 9th, 2016 08:00

Hello. Test the audio driver by switching between the Realtek driver and the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked [but SEE NOTE].
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

NOTE: if you have a 2-in-1 model and do not see a "High Definition Audio" option after step 6, then uncheck "Show compatible hardware". Then in step 7, if you see 2 "High Definition Audio" devices, select the 2nd one.

If you only have the symptoms with the Realtek driver, then the other is at fault and you should try using the Windows 8 version that worked for you before you installed the new operating system.

If you have the same symptoms with both audio drivers, then it is very probably not a driver issue. There is an issue that happens with the headphone jack, where it falsely senses that a plug is in the jack. It is not a driver issue, but it only happens in Windows -- works okay in Linux systems. The fix is to replace the jack circuit board (or the motherboard if there is not a jack board).

1 Message

September 3rd, 2017 10:00

Thanks. It works! :)

No Events found!