Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2013 06:00

Dell inspiron M5110 graphics card / screen problem

Hi,

I have a "one year and 2 months old" Dell Inspiron M5110 (A4-3305M /4GB/500GB/HD 6510/15.6"). A couple of days ago, while watching a video, the image on the screen got distorted and then the screen turned black.

Since then the laptop has a completely chaotic behaviour and therefore can not be used anymore. From time to time, I get 8 beeps at start-up. Sometimes the laptop starts properly and the screen shows the correct image, and most of the time the screen just remains black while the laptop is powered.

I tried to hook up an external monitor but I only get an image from time to time.

As the laptop is no longer under warranty, I disassembled it completely to check the LCD cable connection which seems OK.

Based on all the posts in this forum, it seems that, at least, the graphics card is faulty but the LCD is not. Is my reasoning correct ?

Solutions ? if I change the motherboard it should solve the problem right ?

If I have to change the motherboard, I would like to try, before throwing away the old one, to do a graphics card reflow. Any suggestions ? (temperature, time...)

Thanks

3 Posts

August 20th, 2013 11:00

End of the story for those interested in:

I sent my laptop to the repair service of Dell as it was still under warranty (I did not realize it immediately).

The following parts have been changed:

- Hard disk

- Mainboard

- Keyboard

- CPU

- Cable connecting the screen to the mainboard

As you see, nothing related with the screen.

Now the laptop works perfectly. I hope for a long time

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 27th, 2013 07:00

Hi RolPasto,

Let us try few troubleshooting steps:

Please run the LCD Built In Self-Test on the laptop to check if there is any problem with the LCD screen.

To initiate LCD BIST:

• Shut down the system.
  • Press and hold the ‘D’ key and the push the power button.
  • You will see plain colored screens flashing on the LCD

If you get to see these flashing screens then the LCD is fine.

Try to run the PSA diagnostics to check all the hardware functionality of the system, as you are not able to see anything on the screen launch the PSA by holding key and power on the laptop.

Please post the results.

3 Posts

May 27th, 2013 15:00

Thanks for your prompt reply  DELL-Nikhil D.

1. LCD BIST: the screen remains black.

2. PSA diagnostic: the screen remains black

Any other suggestion to test the hardware ?

Best Regards

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 28th, 2013 11:00

Hi RolPasto,

The problem is with the LCD screen of the computer and it needs to be replaced. Please private message me the service tag of the computer.

To private message me please click my user name, and click start conversation.

If the computer is under warranty, I would be glad to arrange a service on the computer.

Check warranty status: http://dell.to/13VPd97

In case of expired warranty scenario, we would not be able to extend warranty entitled services.

If the warranty on the computer has expired, below link would help you in contacting expired warranty services (this is for US based customers): http://dell.to/VPYT4T

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!