Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

May 31st, 2017 07:00

Dell precision 5510 battery problem

Hi, I've purchased a Dell precision M5510 and it was delivered to me on 23/6/2016 and it's been working well since then .. but lately my trackpad got very stiff and hard to cilck .. I opened it up, found out that the battery has 3 kind of inflamed cells out of 6, when I remove the battery the trackpad clicks fine, put the battery back in, becomes stiff!!

Why did the battery do so? the machine is fairly new and I mainly use the wall power and I don't use the battery much!!

so first, what should I do, I don't think there are Dell maintenance centers in Egypt that can handle this particular model (I bought it from amzon US)

second, what's the best practice for maintaining battery health? 
third, I often play games on this machine, and the temperatures of both cpu and gpu average at about 78 C for most of the gaming session, I believe it's reasonable and safe, or isn't it?

Btw, battery health is still good, does about 6~8 hours, also my warranty is over :(

The swelling in the 3 cells looks like some kind of a fluid or gas, that I am resisting the temptation to pop with a needle or something.

1 Message

June 1st, 2017 14:00

why u no come play a game of overwatch? :3

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2017 16:00

Sorry to hear this, but it sounds like the battery has failed. I would recommend replacing it and recycling this one. Also in the BIOS (pressing F2 at system power on) if you're using the system mainly plugged you can change settings under power management for this. By changing this setting it should allow the next battery to last longer.

Best regards,

Brad 

4 Posts

July 12th, 2017 12:00

I purchased 10 of these laptops for my department around the same time you did. We've had four of these failures so far in three laptops. The fourth failure was a replacement battery (lasted only two months). I've had to pay for all four batteries and the last two I ordered have a 1 month lead time. It looks like Dell has a serious quality issue with these machines, but good luck getting them to admit it or cover the cost.

1 Message

July 12th, 2017 12:00

This is getting a bit out of control for us here. We bought a suite of these computers for our office workers and they look like they are on the verge of bursting. Some of us can't click the track pads at all where others have removed the battery all together out of freak it will break the computers internals. The batteries have Dell's name on them. What is Dell going to do about this? Even our replacement batteries are starting to swell after waiting months to get them.

4 Posts

July 20th, 2017 07:00

Dell just pushed my delivery date for the new batteries back for the 3rd time. Beginning to wonder if I'll ever get them after having to pay $200 for defective parts. What's the story Dell? Surely you are selling you're new 5510 and 5520 with batteries. Why can't you supply parts to your existing customers?

No Events found!