Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2017 05:00

Dell update causing internet slowdown?

I have an issue where I install an update and shortly after it caused my wireless to run really slowly (down from 5 mb/s to 200 kb/s). I talked to the internet company and determined that it was not them. I've run multiple virus scans and that's not it either.

I've been on a few forums and no one can really figure it out, so I reformatted my computer. After that it worked great until prompted for an update. After that was installed, it did the same thing. I ended up reformatting it again and, again, it worked great for a few days until I was prompted to make an install when shutting down. Now, it does the same thing again.

When you get online, it works great for a few minutes and then wireless goes down to nothing again.

I've got an Inspiron 5000 series running on Windows 10. It's a little over a year old.

Any suggestions?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 8th, 2017 07:00

What wireless adapter do you have?  I have seen reports of a Killer wireless and problems with the software which may be installed.

3 Posts

July 8th, 2017 16:00

Windstream is the company. I've changed the router so that shouldn't be it but the router I'm using is a sagemcom.

3 Posts

July 8th, 2017 16:00

Windstream is the company. I've switched the modem but I'm using a sagemcom.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 9th, 2017 20:00

Thank you for your message.

Have you tried connecting to a different network to check if the connection is still slow?

Download & save the wireless driver from this link www.support.dell.com  by entering your system service tag.

Update bios from the same link.

Open device manager – expand network adapter & right click on the wireless driver & click on uninstall (check the box that says delete driver) do not restart the computer.

Install the wireless driver saved & then restart the computer.

Click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address. We will look into this exact model & assist you further.

No Events found!