Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 16th, 2011 19:00

Desktop Icons vanished, why did they leave, better yet, where did they go?

Desktop Icons where did they go? Vanished while doing Dell Updates.  Desktop icons is checked. System Restore doesn't do it either.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 17th, 2011 01:00

crowster,

Right click on the desktop, click view, show desktop icons.

Rick

5 Posts

February 17th, 2011 08:00

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to work. When right clicked it shows "show desktop icons" is checked, and unchecking and checking again has no effect. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 17th, 2011 09:00

crowster,

Looks like you'll have to use system restore to a time you had the desktop icons, or put them back manually.

Rick

5 Posts

February 17th, 2011 16:00

As I said in the first post, System Restore unfortunately doesn't put them back . When you try to put them back manually from the Desktop folder it tells you that the "source and destination are the same" and it won't let you do it.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 18th, 2011 01:00

5 Posts

February 18th, 2011 09:00

It's a new laptop with Windows 7. Problem occured while putting Dell updates on. At the same time that I was unable to get the desktop icons to show on the desktop, I was having an issue with Dell DataSafe and a very annoying popup about IDS_loading and IDS_waiting. I tried to uninstall DataSafe from the Control Panel, but it would not uninstall. DEll Tech tried, and was also unsuccessful. I tried to do it in Safe Mode, and no dice. Finally I downloaded an uninstall program and uninstalled Dell DataSafe completely. Once I had done this it solved two problems, the annoying popup ceased, and I was able to check Show desktop icons, and walla I now have my desktop icons back!

Thanks for all your suggestions, problem solved!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 18th, 2011 14:00

crowster,

Glad you got your icons back! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

July 7th, 2012 23:00

I have a Dell Inspiron N7010 that worked fine one day, and won't do anything the next day. It brings up my desktop, but no icons or taskbar. Cannot right click, CTRL+ALT+DEL, anything. I have Windows 7 Home Premium on this laptop. I'm thinking that maybe it did some sort of update which caused the error. Not sure. Does this sound like the same problem you had? What did you do? I have tried launching repair, last known good configuration, safe mode, safe mode with networking, pretty much every option available. And nothing.

No Events found!