Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2011 00:00

Disable touchpad on XPS 17

When I have an USB mouse attached to my XPS 17 and type on the internal keyboard, I often touch the touchpad which places the cursor somewhere else on the screen.

This is quite annoying and would be solved if I could disable the touchpad.

Sadly, I can't find a place to disable the touchpad.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Rob

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 24th, 2014 17:00

First, you better take your PC in to get that CAPS LOCK problem taken care of.

Second, create your own thread.  Chance of you having EXACTLY the same issue is slim (different system, OS, user, etc.), and since it isn't your thread, you don't have any say on whether the suggestion was useful or not.

1 Message

April 22nd, 2014 10:00

I am having the same issue. Why is the disable tab disabled?  I don't see any help for this.  The touch pad interferes with typing.

2 Posts

October 21st, 2014 11:00

I was having the same issue with my Dell XPS running Windows 8.  There doesn't appear to be a Hot Key to turn the trackpad off and on.  I went to the control panel, then device manager and tried right mouse button on the trackpad, but the disable option didn't come up.  I uninstalled the trackpad and rebooted my machine and the trackpad was still operational, which blew my mind.

Here is what finally worked.  I went to the device manager, clicked the twisty for Mice and other pointing devices.  I noticed there were 2 HID-compliant mouse options.  I disabled the first one and my external mouse stopped working.  Using the trackpad, I enabled it.  Then I disabled the second HID-compliant mouse and it disabled the trackpad.  My external mouse kept working. 

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 13:00

I thought I posted a reply yesterday, but I don't see it. 

I have the XPS 17 running Windows 8.  I had the same problem with the Touchpad.  I agree with your comment on it moving the cursor all over when trying to type.

Here is how I was able to turn it off.

1. Launch Control Panel.
  2. Select Device Manager.
  3. Scroll down to Mice and other pointing devices and expand by clicking twisty.
  4. On my display, I have a Cypress Trackpad and two HID-compliant mouse devices. 
  5. I double clicked The Cypress Trackpad optioin and went to the Driver tab.  As others have indicated, it doesn't have a disable option, only an uninstall option.
  6. I double clicked the first HID-compliant mouse device and went to the Driver tab.  I disabled it, but it disabled my external mouse, so I re-Enabled it on the Driver tab.
  7. I double clicked the second HID-compliant mouse device and went to the Driver tab.  I disabled it, and it disabled the Trackpad. 

I looked for an option to disable the second HID-compliant mouse when an external mouse it connected, but couldn't find one.

I hope this helps others with their Trackpad issue. 

11 Posts

May 16th, 2015 05:00

I followed your instructions but the Disable box in my PS/2 Driver window is grayed out. Now what?

1 Message

March 25th, 2016 21:00

The "Disable" tab is faded and unclickable.  What now?  This is typical actually.  Figures.

No Events found!