Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2012 17:00

Disabling Dell touchpad on Inspiron N5110

Trying to disable overly sensitive touchpad.  Running a Microsoft wireless mouse through USB.  I can use hot keys and watch touchpad toggle on and be off in Control Panel but cursor continues to move under touchpad control.  Have uninstalled touchpad driver and touchpad still moves the cursor.  Tried downloading the Alps touchpad driver but install failed.  System has now installed a PS/2 mouse driver in addition to the wireless mouse driver.  And the touchpad still moves the cursor.  What else can I try?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 7th, 2012 21:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

What happened when you installed ALPS Driver? Was there an error message? Can you try installing quickset thru this link ; http://dell.to/HInYUY Then try using the hotkeys again. You can access Quick Launch Buttons to configure touchpad, (upper right part of the keyboard) Press the first button (the one with gears) and windows mobility will come out. Look for the option to enable/disable touchpad. If still nogo, try to view this link, it might help ;

Hope this helps, let me know of the results, glad to help.

2 Posts

May 10th, 2012 14:00

Elijah:

Thanks for you reponse.  The Alps touchpad install aborted and I presume it is because this is a Dell touchpad?  At any rate, I did download the quickset driver array which succeeded in disabling the hot keys for the mouse but did not enable the touchpad disable function.  I have a piece of black foam rubber taped over the touchpad.  Works well but looks like  <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> on a new computer.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 13th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

The Inspiron™ N5110 / 15R uses an ALPS® TouchPad which is Dell customized. Can you try to update your BIOS first then update touchpad driver ; BIOS http://dell.to/JOhx2m Alps ; http://dell.to/HKX1Sy  

3 Posts

July 15th, 2012 09:00

I just had the same problem and this worked for me.

Download and install the touchpad driver (R305170):

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

1 Message

August 4th, 2012 00:00

Inspiron N5110

Fn + F3

Press and hold the
key, then press the key.

August 4th, 2012 10:00

I have tried this however when I go to properties and driver I am unable to select disable.  Its visible but not highlighted so it can be clicked.  How do I change this or can i just uninstall?

3 Posts

August 6th, 2012 08:00

Look at the previous post:

Download and install the touchpad driver (R305170):

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

1 Message

December 29th, 2012 19:00

I got tired of fighting it -- just uninstall the touchpad and use your USB optical mouse!!!

1 Message

February 1st, 2013 00:00

Yes! This worked for me! Thank you! :emotion-2:

1 Message

January 5th, 2014 09:00

Try holding the orange Fn key down and press F3. This should turn on the light on the touchpad indicating it is off!

1 Message

May 5th, 2015 14:00

Hi!

I'm having the same problem.  I uninstalled and then re-installed the quickset through the link you mention above.

No fix, unfortunately.  The hotkey to disable the mousepad doesn't display.

Please help and thank you!

1 Message

December 13th, 2015 06:00

Thank you.  That driver-download link worked perfectly.  But Fn key plus F3 doesn't do anything.

No Events found!