Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2012 23:00

Disc drive spin-up causes mp3 skipping during ripping

I have an XPS 15, with the blu-ray combo drive ( DS-6E2SH 12.7 Tray BD-Combo), and whenever I try to rip a cd into mp3 the first couple of tracks have skips in them. This happens every time, with any cd, and with various mp3 ripping software. It is consistent as to where the skips happen, consistently putting skips at the 52 second mark of the first track, and at 1:07 etc, but only on the first and second tracks.

I feel this is an issue due to the spinning up of the drive to max speed. If I start the ripping process, then wait for the drive to get to speed, cancel the ripping, then immediately start again, there aren't any skips.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to not have to use this work around? I spent way too much on this thing for it to have problems ripping a cd.

July 3rd, 2012 23:00

I don't see how to edit my post. Wanted to mention that my driver is up to date and there are no other applications running or interfering.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 4th, 2012 05:00

Probably needs to be fixed in a firmware update but the newest version is from 4-20-2011 which is probably the one that was pre-installed. You might try support if you are still under warranty. They won't help with a software issue but this might be a hardware defect. I have not heard of this problem before.

To edit a post click on the icon to the right of the words "Report Abuse" at the bottom of the post. It is supposed to be a green pencil.

No Events found!