Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2009 12:00

Display Blank when I connect AC Adapter to Laptop -- Inspiron 1525

My Inspiron 1525 suddenly started having this problem. When I connect AC Adapter to Laptop the display becomes very very dim, blank. If I turn it to an angle I can see little bit. If I remove AC adapter restart windows or take windows out of sleep/hibernate the display looks perfect.

I re-installed Windows Vista, no change.

When I connect an  external monitor, the Display is fine on the external monitor with and without AC Adapter.

Dont see issues with AC Adapter, the power charging works fine.

As a workaround, I charge laptop battery during night & remove adapter when I use during day.

77 Posts

September 23rd, 2009 13:00

sounds like a bad lcd back light... if you start the system with the ac adapter is the problem still there if so then you would more then likly have to call dell tech support to get a repalcement LCD if the system is under warranty or find the part you need to repalce the LCD...

September 23rd, 2009 13:00

I no longer have the warranty. Bought before 15 months. If I start the laptop with ac adapter, the display is good for 1-2 seconds & then goes away. I dont know why the backlight works with battery power & not with power from AC adapter.

September 24th, 2009 12:00

I tried a different adapter, the issue is still there.

I saw that the display brightness is set to max for AC Power in BIOS & Windows Power settings. When I made brightness equivalent to battery level settings the display works. But the display flickers a lot.

Any ideas, could it be backlight.? Does anyone have a tuitorial for changing backlight? Or do you know a cheap shop in SF Bay area that can fix this?

77 Posts

September 24th, 2009 12:00

well there could be a short somewhere and when you put the ac adapter in the power port it could be triping it, try a different ac adapter(if you have one) see what happens still happens then it is with the system...

77 Posts

September 25th, 2009 13:00

check your refresh rate

right click the desktop->properties->settings-.adavance button->moniter tab->refresh rate

check each settings and see if that helps

~Siget

1 Message

October 9th, 2009 16:00

I am having the same problem since 3 weeks ...  on batter the display works fine, but when plugged-in for charging the display becomes blank suddenly after 5 or 10 or 15 minutes .... it's really disturbing ... did any body have any solution for this problem ...

1 Message

November 15th, 2009 14:00

I too am experiencing this problem. As a work around I've found that by lowering the brightness of the screen while the AC adapter is plugged has stopped the screen from going completely blank however, obviously this isn't ideal. Does this help at all in trying to dignose the source of the problem? Any solutions? Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 15th, 2009 16:00

Replace the inverter.

6 Posts

March 14th, 2010 21:00

I was reading your old post about screen issues with a dell 1525 inspiron. Did you find a fix?

6 Posts

Did you find a fix for your dell inspiron 1525 screen issue? I'm having the same problem. Thanks.

6 Posts

Did you find a fix for your dell 1525 screen issue? I'm having the same problem.

5 Posts

July 10th, 2010 10:00

I'm also have the same problem with my inspiron 1525 - did anyone find a resolution for this?

6 Posts

February 24th, 2011 19:00

Wow is this a tough problem to find an answer for!  I'm having the same issue with a D620....screen goes black when AC adapter is plugged in.  Does anyone have a possible solution?  What is the inverter mentioned a few posts back??  Thanks

5 Posts

February 25th, 2011 04:00

It ended up being either the inverter, but when I tried to replace it at home, I couldn't get the last screw out, even with the tiniest screwdriver I could find at the Home Depot. So I replaced the entire LCD screen, which ran me about $100, but still much cheaper than a Dell or other computer shop repair. Problem is totally fixed now.

No Events found!