Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

June 21st, 2013 18:00

Display adapter; vgasave; code 12

The hard drive in my Inspiron 1545 recently failed.  I purchased a replacement harddrive, installed it, and used the Dell USB Recovery & Restore key to reinstall windows and the device drivers.

My display is not working properly now.  In the Device Manager, under Display Adapters, there is a yellow exclamation point next to the Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, and the properties dialog box states, "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)."

I have made sure to install all of the proper drivers.  I've tried the chipset drivers from the dell website, and the chipset driver directly from Intel.  Neither worked.  The system is clearly reverting to the "vgasave" driver, and from everything I've read, this is a common problem, with no clear solution.  HELP!  I'm stuck in low resolution hell!!  I'm not that intelligent when it comes to computers, so excuse me if I've used incorrect terminology in this post.

Thanks in advance for any help....

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 21st, 2013 23:00

Hi jly121,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver on the system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Click on Start button.
  2. In the search box type devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  3. Select the graphics card device and right click on it
  4. Now select properties.
  5. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall
    button.
  6. Check “Delete the driver software for
    this device.”
  7. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the video card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/ZaQuel

Please let me know if this helps.

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2013 08:00

Thanks for the advice.  I had previously tried this same approach, without any success.  But, I tried again, explicitly following your instructions.  It did not work.  Any other ideas???

One thing to clarify, when you say "Video section" do you mean "Chipset"?  Because when I enter in my service tag, there are filtered driver results for my service tag, which do not contain a video section.  Its only when I select "All related drivers for your product" that a video section is shown... but none of the drivers there are applicable to my system.  The driver under "Chipset" is the same that is shown under display adapter in the windows device manager.

I've also tried deleting the driver, and installing the latest driver from the Intel website, for the "Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family."

Any more ideas?  I REALLY do appreciate the help!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 24th, 2013 18:00

Hi jly121,

Please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase; email address so that I can check and assist you further. To send a private message, click on my name and select start conversation.

No Events found!