Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2009 04:00

Display not working, either inbuilt LCD, or External Monitor

Hi I have an Inspiron 1420, with the Nvidia graphics, card that was optional on them.  I am having a problem when I switch the laptop on I can tell the monitor has come on as it is brighter, but nothing on screen. When windows loads (i can only tell as I hear the sound) I change over to my external monitor, using fn and f8 key, and I get lots of horizontal and vertical lines, moving around the screen, BUT I cannot see anything on the screen (ie windows logo, login box's etc.

Any-one have any idea's what is wrong ort how to fix.  I have tried running the built in test (fn and power button) but of course I can't see anything on the screen so no idea what it comes up with.

Thanks Stu 

November 4th, 2009 09:00

Hello,

Turn off the computer completely.  Then power on the computer, as soon as your finger leaves the power button, go to the F2 key and start tapping.  This will send your computer into the setup screen (aka: the BIOS).  If everything is clear, in that you can see all the settings without distortions, the software video driver is most likely the issue.  If however, you see distortions, horizontal or vertical lines then the motherboard is at fault.

Regards,

1 Message

November 4th, 2009 12:00

Hi

Not sure this will help, but this just happened to me.  My Vostro 1500's screen was black, but I knew the laptop was running. I tried a lot of things, then got disgusted and left it alone, plugged in, for a day or so. When I tried again, the screen came back up. I figure the power cord had worked itself loose and the battery had gone low and the monitor had gone into a hibernation mode. It just charged itself up again. I was glad for such a simple solution. Hope that's all your problem is.

Regards

Del

November 4th, 2009 13:00

That has happened to me as well.  If the computer is stuck in hibernation or standby mode and the screen will not come up, try the following. 

Remove the AC power and the battery then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.  Place the battery and the AC power adapter back into the system then power back on. 

Regards,

No Events found!