Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2015 13:00

Do I have to replace my hard drive if only the Windows partition is broken?

My Dell Inspirion 15 (5547) laptop is partitioned with Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04. I partitioned them about a month ago and they have been working perfectly. Today I booted Windows up, after using it only half an hour before just fine, and it said something went wrong and had to try rebooting. When it rebooted, it tried to run automatic repair, but just black screened. When I ran ePSA, I got error code: 2000-0142. On the Dell page, this tells me I have a critical hard drive error and have to replace it. But, I am still running Ubuntu just fine off the hard drive so do I really have to replace it or is there anything I can do to repair the Windows partition? Ubuntu tells me that the Windows partition is running in an unsafe NTFS mode. Thank-you.

1.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2015 03:00

Good day !

Thank you for writing to the community.I am Jennifer and I work for the Dell Social Media Team .

As you mentioned the error code 2000-0142 indicates that certain sectors on the hard drive are corrupt.As of now you may be able to work with Ubuntu but  then would advise you to back up the available data as the hard drive is sure to fail with a no boot situation in front of you .Do contact us for hard drive replacement once you have backed up the data.

If there are any more queries do reply to this community thread and we will be glad to assist you .

Have a great day ahead,

Kindest Regards,

4 Posts

February 2nd, 2015 14:00

Thank-you for your reply. How do I request a hard drive replacement? I went through the Dell product support and put in my error code and validation number and it agreed the hard drive needed replacement and said to fill out the following form to have a new one shipped, but there was no form following it. Can you direct me to the right place?

Thank-you,

Oliver

1.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2015 04:00

Hi,

I can assist you with drive replacement. Kindly assist me with the following details ,

1)Forward the invoice copy of the system and the service tag via private message.

2)Confirm if the data on the old hard drive has been backed up as the faulty drive will be collected back once the new one is delivered.

3)Provide the physical address where you want the new hard drive to be delivered and also

Awaiting your reply.

Kindest Regards

1.2K Posts

February 4th, 2015 06:00

Hi ,

Thank you for the mail but the amazon invoice does not have the service tag of the system.

Kindly click on my name to send a private message and send the invoice details which has the service tag printed on the invoice. I can schedule a dispatch for the same as soon as I can get this information .

Awaiting your reply .

Have a good day ahead .

Kindest Regards,

4 Posts

February 4th, 2015 12:00

The Amazon invoice does not have the service tag printed on it, I sent the entirety of the invoice to you. I can sent you the service tag as reported to me by the computer, but it is not on the invoice.

Oliver

1.2K Posts

February 5th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

I can arrange for the hard drive(1TB) to be replaced for your system scheduled for monday.Would like to know if the address remains the same mentioned on the invoice and if the data on the old hard drive has been backed up.

Awaiting your reply.

Kind Regards,

4 Posts

February 5th, 2015 11:00

i

1.2K Posts

February 6th, 2015 04:00

Hi ,

Thank you for the reply!

I will scheduled hard drive dispatch for Monday considering part availability and the faulty part will be collected back .

Do send me your contact Details (Full name and contact no) via private message .

Awaiting  your reply.

Kindest Regards,

1.2K Posts

February 6th, 2015 08:00

Hi ,

Kindly remove your address and service tag from your post since this information is visible to the public.However I have made a note of these details .Awaiting your reply.

Kind Regards,

1.2K Posts

February 10th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.Hard drive dispatch is in transit stage .Will get back to you with the estimated delivery as soon as I get that information.

Kindest Regards.

1.2K Posts

February 16th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!If there are any issues do write to us.

Thanks again for choosing Dell.

Kindest Regards,

No Events found!