Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

6 Posts

February 16th, 2005 22:00

Do I need to install some program to re-charging battery?

Hi, I am Inspiron 8600 user, and I bought the laptop about 5 months ago.

The Problem is my laptop can't recognize the battery. When I went to the Bios things by press F2 before Window XP boots, and I could see the Bios said "Battery is not installed." But it was.
I checked the battery and laptop to remove some dirts, if it have, and I re-installed the battery
again and again. But it shows same result, not recharging.

And, another symptom is when I install the battery, it is not recharging,
but the battery status light on my laptop twinkled three or four times orange lights and one time of
green lights... and keep repeat until I turn off the computer.

I don't have money to buy extra battery, so I couldn't check which one has problem, battery or laptop.

Do I need to install some progam to re-charging the battery?
If not, what is the problem, and how can I resolve?

4.2K Posts

February 17th, 2005 02:00

Hi,

It sounds like you have a faulty battery. If it is only 5 months old, you should log a service call. The battery will charge even if you take out the HDD. ( no OS or software )

Regards Chris

8 Posts

February 17th, 2005 19:00

Dear User,

There are few steps that you can try.

1. Flash the BIOS to the latest revision and then restore to factory default settings and to do the same please follow the following steps:

To update the BIOS from dell website :

1. Please open http://support.dell.com

2. Click "Home and Home Office".

3. Click "Downloads" on the right hand side.

4. Please put the service tag of the system in the box provided.

5. Under "Select your download category", please select "FlashBIOS Updates". Select the Operating System to be Windows XP.

6. Click the link on the next page.

7. Click and download the executable file listed on the last page and save it to the desktop.

8. Double click the downloaded file and follow the onscreen instructions to update the BIOS.

B) To restore BIOS defaults follow the following steps:

Please follow the steps below to restore to default setting of the BIOS :

1. Shut the computer completely off.
2. Turn it back on and tap on "F2" at the first Dell logo screen.  The computer will boot to the BIOS of the computer.
3. You will see either "Phoenix BIOS setup utility" for Phoenix BIOS or "Dell Computer Corporation" for Dell BIOS written on top of the screen.
4. If you see "Dell Computer Corporation" press and hold down the "Alt" key and hit the key "F" once and incase if you see "Phoenix BIOS setup utility" hit "F9" and this will restore to the default settings.

Regards,

Leslie

No Events found!