Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2017 14:00

Docking Station Power Button

Hello,

We just purchased a large amount of Latitude E7470 and E5570 Laptops with the Docking Stations.  These are currently running Windows 7.  The issue I'm seeing is that when the laptop is docked and off, we are unable to turn them on using the docking station power button, we have to use the power button on the laptop itself.  Un-docking and re-docking causes the light to sometimes light up and then we can use the power button.

Is these expected behavior?  It seems to be a pretty big issue.

Thanks!

August 14th, 2017 15:00

We are using the 130W AC Adapters.  BIOS is fully up to date.  Plastic spacer is installed.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

That is not expected behavior.  What wattage power supply are you using with the docking stations?  I believe the E7470 and E5570 require the docking station to be powered by at least a 130W AC adapter.  You might also want to try updating the BIOS on a test system if you haven't already just to see if that improves things.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

And this is happening with multiple laptops connected to multiple docking stations?  In that case I'm not sure what might be causing the behavior you're seeing.  Sorry!  The Power light should be on when the system is on, pulsing when the system is asleep, and off when it is hibernating or powered off. Pressing it should always power on/wake the system when it's off/asleep/hibernated, and when it's on, pressing it should do whatever action you've configured in Windows for pressing the Power button, i.e. it should behave exactly the same way as the Power button on the laptop itself.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

One other potential idea.  For the best dock placement, the E7470 and E5570 use a plastic spacer intended to be placed on the dock.  The reason is that more recent Dell models have moved the dock connector close to the edge of the laptop, whereas it used to be closer to the center.  That spacer isn't required for proper operation, but it can create a more secure connection, so if you find that your laptops are wobbling a bit on the dock, that could be responsible for the unreliable behavior you're seeing.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

August 15th, 2017 06:00

Hi Petrucci914,

Thanks for posting.

Sounds like you are a commercial customer.  You should have an account manager assigned to your company.  Your issue sounds like you should contact them, as they should have access to your warranty and the tech support team that services your company.

August 28th, 2017 15:00

This was an issue with the machine - either a bad power button or motherboard.

No Events found!