Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 9th, 2011 22:00

Does Dell XPS M1530 Motherboard Replacement Fixes the GPU Defect?

Hi, I have a Dell XPS M1530 with it's GPU: 8600m GT. By now, the laptop doesn't turn on as you've seen on the video. I have heard that it is due to the GPU Defect. Now, if I will call dell and they replace the motherboard, would that GPU from the mobo that they replaced be not influenced by the GPU Defect? If that is influenced, the replacement is no use and I will still come on that time again that it is not working.

2.2K Posts

July 9th, 2011 22:00

Hi,

The laptop not turning on at all is not one of the listed symptoms of the nVidia defect. Generally, nVidia defect issues will start but show image issues, including:

• Multiple images
  • Random characters on the screen
  • Lines on the screen
  • No video

If your issue is that there is no video but tha it actually turns on, then it is most likely nVidia related.

To your question, nVidia has said the replacement motherboards are fixed, however, there I have seen some (cannot find reference at the moment) question the truthfullness of that. Still, getting it fixed will give you some more life out of your machine. Assuming it is under warranty and can get fixed for free, I see no reason not to do so.

5 Posts

July 10th, 2011 00:00

Thanks for the reply. And thanks for answering my question about the "if replacement motherboards are fixed".

So, we cannot assure really if the motherboard replacement, the gpu is fixed.

5 Posts

July 10th, 2011 00:00

Anyone from Dell or Nvidia please reply!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 10th, 2011 04:00

There are many engineers who believe the problem was never really fixed - and couldn't be, short of a complete redesign of the chip, which never happened.

www.theinquirer.net/.../all-nvidia-g84-g86s-bad

No Events found!