Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

December 6th, 2010 21:00

Don't Update Mini SSD Firmware!!!

I was checking the downloads for something else when I was on the Dell support site, and noticed a new update. It's a firmware update for many of the SSDs available for netbooks like the Dell Mini 9:

http://dell.to/ie6pOs

I installed it, and restarted the computer upon it's apparently successful completion.

However, the computer no longer starts up and returns "Operating System not Found"

The BIOS still seems to recognize the drive, but it says "0MB" instead of anything like the actual 16GB capacity.

I was optimistic that Dell Support would help me, since this is an issue with one of their updates. However, as it's out of warranty, I couldn't get any help, and they transferred me around. I explained my situation to at least 4 people over the course of an hour before finally being forwarded to a sales department from out of warranty support. However, the sales department was closed and I got a recorded message that hung up on me. (Not that I needed to talk to sales)

I hope Dell has better luck with the new convertible netbook they recently announced, as my netbook didn't even reach two years old before it was killed by the Dell update.

December 7th, 2010 15:00

bump

I guess I didn't make it clear, but I was posting in the support forums to obtain some support (after exhausting traditional methods).

2.2K Posts

December 7th, 2010 20:00

Hi,

This is primarily a user to user forum. It is possible but not likely that a Dell moderator will be able to help. Being out of warranty limits your options.

A fellow user may be able to give some advice as to how to verify if the drive is bricked or if it can be fixed.

Worst case scenario, it sounds like a new SSD drive would fix things... That is assuming the firmware just attempted to install itself to the drive and nothing else. If you do try buying a new drive, find out the return policy first in case it does NOT fix your issue.

Good luck.

No Events found!