Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2010 15:00

Download drivers for a Inspiron 6400

Hi, my Inspiron 6400 hard drive got messed up and I had to boot and reinstall my Windows XP Home OS. As I did not have the actual disks that the computer came with (in storage as we are between houses as we are moving countries), I borrowed a XP Home disk and got it installed well (SP3). But the drivers are missing so nothing seems to work (my Dell did not take the drivers from the other computer as it was a Fujitsu disk).

Can I just download the drivers in the order suggest to anoter computer and then copy them over? I started with System Utilities as the directions said I should, but got concerned that downloading the will mess up the drivers of the other computer and as it is my work one, I am not too keen to make a mistake here... Just not sure how I proceed after I click "Download"...

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 7th, 2010 15:00

You're going to need to go back and redo the installation with a Dell disc - the one from your Fujitsu system will require activation within 30 days, or it will cease to function - and Microsoft won't activate an OEM install disc (it would not need activation on a Fujitsu system, just as a Dell disc doesn't need activation on a Dell system).

You can download the drivers, save to a flash drive or CD and transfer to the Dell system.

June 12th, 2010 07:00

Ok. Sorry for taking time to respond but was traveling. So no point to download the drivers as I need to restart the whole process within 30 days. I will get my moving load in 10 days so will try again, assuming I can locate the Dell disc...

Thanks!

No Events found!