Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 18th, 2017 12:00

Driver Needed for Clean Installing Windows 10?

Laptop:  XPS 13, 9360.  I am upgrading the stock SSD, (San Disk 128 GB), with a Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB.  Want to do a clean install of Windows 10 off a USB drive.  The install process begins but I am quickly prompted to install the missing driver:  "No signed device drivers were found.  Make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers. . ."  
If I'm not mistaken that driver is the Intel Rapid Storage Driver, no?  If so, I have it installed on the thumb drive but it isn't showing up during the install process.  What am I doing wrong?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 18th, 2017 13:00

You need the Samsung NVMe driver.  Make sure your system is NOT set to boot in RAID mode (the usual option you need is AHCI).  The driver is located here (under drivers)

www.samsung.com/.../tools.html

Put it on a flash drive and pause the install with F6 when indicated.  Load the driver and Windows should then find the NVMe drive and continue the installation.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 18th, 2017 13:00

If you want to install in PCIe mode, the SATA setting in the Bios must be set to AHCI (or disabled).  You have to boot the install media as UEFI.

There may also be a setting in the Bios to set the M.2 slot to PCIe.  Make sure that is checked.

When that is done the system should install Win 10 fine and reboot normally.  After the install, make sure and load the Samsung NVMe driver.

If you have a 2.5 inch SATA drive it might interfere but it should work.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 18th, 2017 19:00

No - if you do that, Windows won't load.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 18th, 2017 20:00

I agree, putting these systems back in RAID mode causes the M.2 port to revert to SATA..  

All you need is to make sure the Drive is using the Samsung NVMe driver since the Standard NVMe driver is terrible.  Check Storage controllers in Device Manger to make sure.

The first time I installed the 960 Pro I did a clean install.  The second time I used a Windows recovery drive I made from the OEM install and ended up with the OEM install on the 960 Pro.

52 Posts

March 18th, 2017 18:00

Yes, the BIOS setting was the issue.  As soon as I switched from RAID to ACHI the install went according to plan.  Surprisingly quick, actually.  Thank you!

Oh, and by the way. . .should the BIOS be switched back to RAID?  I'm thinking no, since the laptop is purring along just fine.

52 Posts

March 19th, 2017 13:00

By chance are you using your usb flash drive in the usb 3.0 port, if so, try it in the 2.0 ones instead

52 Posts

March 19th, 2017 14:00

Yes, I did try the 2.0 port but it didn't make a difference.  The issue was the BIOS setting.

No Events found!