Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

53 Posts

May 6th, 2007 20:00

Drivers for Inspiron 8100

I have an Inspiron 8100.  My hard drive crashed and I have to replace it.  The laptop came with Me and upgraded to XP home.  I am in the process of formatting the new drive (as part of reloading XP) and am starting to worry about the drivers for the touch panal and stick and other stuff.  I have all the original discs but don't see on marked drivers and am not sure how to load them if I can get them.
Advice would be appreciated.

Mike

6.4K Posts

May 6th, 2007 22:00

Since you are installing Windows XP you will find the drivers here:

Dell puts all the drivers for every configuration they delivered in this list so you will need to do some exploring to determine which ones you will actually need to load.

Message Edited by JackShack on 05-06-2007 06:44 PM

4.4K Posts

May 7th, 2007 02:00

There is also a specific order to install them.  HERE it is.

53 Posts

May 7th, 2007 22:00

Thanks for the help.
When I Loaded the XP, it evidentally picked up all MS drivers.  I tried to uninstall some of them but on reboot, it automatically picks up the Microsoft default driver again. Isn't there a switch I can set to have it ask me to find the drivers when it finds new hardware?  I thought there was but maybe I am dreaming.
Will I have a problem using the MS drivers?  It seems to work so far with the exception of an adaptec PCMCIA USB 2 adapter.  I can't get the right driver installed as XP automatically loads the default MS driver without prompting me to find it.

Again, Thanks for the advice.

Mike

4.4K Posts

May 8th, 2007 00:00

Just go ahead and download the Dell drivers and run the install program.  It will take care of all of the rest for you.

53 Posts

May 8th, 2007 21:00

Thanks.  Will do
No Events found!