Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2012 18:00

Dropped laptop, freezes after it says launch startup repair. How to fix and/or get files off of it?

I recently dropped my laptop off my bed and when I picked it up it seemed to be working fine until it froze. So I restarted it and then it said that there was a problem with something and to launch the startup repair. When I do this it acts like its going to work until it stops at a blue screen. Anything I could do to fix it? I dont really want to spend a lot to have it fixed because I was thinking of getting a new one anyways, but I would like to at least get all of my information and files off of this one?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 7th, 2012 18:00

Remove the hard drive (which has likely been damaged), mount it in an external case, attach it to a working system and copy what you can.  Then return the drive to the system if you wish to confirm the most likely cause: the drive was damaged in the fall - run the Dell diagnostics on the drive (F12 at powerup).

16 Posts

August 7th, 2012 23:00

you will need a harddrive replacement as stated above, hopefully you have accidental coverage.

No Events found!