Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 1st, 2015 15:00

Dual external monitor issues when docking with an E-port docking station.

We have a user who docks a dell inspiron laptop on to an e-port docking station.  The docking station has two external displays.  Whenever he docks his laptop, the VGA display always cuts off.  The monitor is black but the power light is on.  His desktop is still extended as if the VGA monitor was on.

There is one DVI port and one VGA port.  The VGA always has the issue, the DVI always works flawlessly.  I've tried different monitors and it's always the same thing.  I've also tried a different e-port docking station and the same issue.

The only way he can fix this is to unplug the power cable from the monitor in the VGA port and plug it back in.

The only time I've ever seen this was when a user had a video card with two VGA ports and one VGA port on the motherboard.  If the user plugged one monitor into the motherboard and one into the video card, the same issue would arise.  It was resolved by having the user plug both monitors into the video card.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2015 16:00

What model of Inspiron notebook  and e-port docking station is being used?   I am not familiar with any recent Inspiron notebooks having a docking port to connect to a e-port, what type of connection is being used to connect the Inspiron to the e-port?  When docked is the notebook closed or are you setting up a tri display?

From the way that you are describing it, it almost sounds like the VGA connection monitor's auto detect function isn't working  (I do understand that you have tried more than one model of monitor). I am curious if you use the Auto adjust or change the Input Source setting to DVI and back to VGA if it would detect the VGA signal again and start working.

If you continue to have problems please report back and include the notebook model and version of docking station, and connection types if possible.

TB

6 Posts

April 6th, 2015 07:00

My apologies, it is an E6420 Latitude laptop, not an inspiron.  The e-port is a PR03X.

When docking the notebook is closed so we are only using the DVI and VGA outputs on the docking station for video, not the laptop screen.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 6th, 2015 09:00

Sounds good, I would like to know if disabling Optimus helps.

TB

6 Posts

Docking and then performing a cold boot does make a difference.  This issue only happens when he docks with the laptop powered on but closed.

When he is using the notebook before being docked, it is being used solely as a notebook and not with anything else.  I have this same setup for about 15 other attorneys in the office and none have ever had this issue.  (by issue i mean 'minor annoyance')

He will be out for a while (vacation) so when he returns I will try disabling Optimus in the bios and see if that helps.  I'll report back here within a week or so.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

I was playing around with my setup at the office and was not able to duplicate the problem.  I use a Latitude E7440 with an E-port and two 1909w monitors in extended mode with monitor one using a DVI connection, and monitor 2 using a VGA connection.  I undocked the notebook and docked it again and each time both displays came up fine after a short delay.

I am curious, does docking the notebook while powered down and booting from a cold boot make any difference?

When your user notices the problem how is the notebook being used before being docked, just using the notebook alone, or is it being used with other devices, perhaps a projector?

My E7440 Only has Intel HD graphics, your system has Intel HD and possibly a discreet Nvidia chip. As a test you may wish to go into the BIOS (start the system tapping F12 and choose BIOS) choose video and then select to disable Nvidia Optimus.  Test and see if the problem continues

If your user needs Optimus instruct him when docking the notebook to make sure that the system is set to High Performance under 3D settings in the Nvidia control panel and see if that helps.

TB 

No Events found!