Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2015 09:00

Dxdiag saying laptop has a different graphics card

Bought my laptop off Dell back in August, and specified the Nvidia GeForce 920M. Assumed I had the correct graphics card ever since, but checked dxdiag just now and it states I have Intel HD Graphics 5500. 

I'm only posting as I'm confused, since the online system requirements checker I just used says I have the GeForce card. Has anyone else had this problem?

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 5th, 2015 17:00

Greetings Lydiamorris,

Great question. Your system likely has what we call 'Switchable Graphics'. In short, your system has both Intel and Nvidia on the same motherboard. 

The reason for DXDIAG only showing the Intel card could be because on most models with switchable graphics, the Intel card is basically the 'default card' that is used right when the unit turns on. I don't think DXDIAG is designed in such a way as to be able to see both cards. I could be wrong.

The Nvidia card kind of 'sits behind' the Intel card and acts as an 'optional accelerator', when called on by applications that require it. The link I gave earlier shows how to manage the Nvidia card settings so that you can tell certain applications to use the Nvidia card instead of the Intel card. 

No Events found!