Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2009 16:00

E-port Plus / Latitude / 2 external monitors + laptop screen

Hi,

I have an E-port plus and a latitude laptop - and I am keen to have two external monitors and also use the laptop screen - so effectively having 3 screens - is this possible? If so, what is the best way to hook it up?

Thanks in advance,

Jacob

1.6K Posts

March 14th, 2009 04:00

It is only possible with a full E-dock and a PCI video card installed in it.  The onboard video in the notebook can drive only two screens - you will need a second video card for the dock to handle an additional screen.

2 Posts

May 15th, 2009 20:00

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would reply anyway.  I don't think that there is a "e-dock" that will accept pci, or pci-e cards.  However, you *can* purchase USB video cards that will allow you add multiple monitors.  I currently use them, and while I wouldn't use them to watch video or play games on, they are fine for day-to-day use, such as for Excel, Word, etc.  With the Dell E-Port Plus, you could get two displays connected via DVI connectors.  With the USB video cards I have, you could also add up to 6 other external monitors (note, each monitor has to connect to it's own USB port, so you can't connect to two monitors to a single USB hub).  I've used these USB cards on my E6500 to add two extra monitors when working from home, giving me three (3) total monitors:  1x24" monitor DVI, 2x20" monitors connected via USB.  I don't have the e-port plus yet cause I would have to pay for it myself and since it's a work laptop, I can't quite bring myself to do that, yet.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!