Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

December 21st, 2008 07:00

E1505 6400 ati driver versions

Hello to all of you,

I just wanted to state my observation and by any chance get an answer on this issue.

I own an e1505 with an ati x1400 with xp media center. I newly updated my OS to vista ultimate so of course I installed all of the drivers, when I noticed that the ati drivers are so old basically almost all of the drivers are so old!!

Whats up with that?

PS,

My brother owns a five year old IBM and IBM still offers newly updated drivers for his laptop!! This means dell support is terrible?

6.4K Posts

December 28th, 2008 11:00

Don't know if you are still looking for an answer to this, but thought I would try anyway.

Drivers are updated for a few reasons, but these reasons are primarily to fix an error that prevents the hardware from working as it should, to add support for newer versions of the hardware, and rarely, to add a capability that wasn't contained in the previous release.  If your hardware is presently operating as it should with the driver you have, there is no need to perform the update.  The fact that Dell has an older version of the driver means very little; Dell will release newer versions of a driver for as long as the computer they are used on is in production.  The updates generally stop when the driver revisions cease to provide a positive improvement (especially in laptops since these are rarely upgraded once delivered), or when a newer model replaces the computer in question.

In practice, the most common reason for releasing new versions of the driver is to provide support for newer versions of the hardware.  If you have a desktop and replace the video card, it would be silly to not use the latest version of the driver.  It could also be irritating since the driver you have may not support all the capability in the card.  With a laptop this is unlikely since the video cards are practically hand made specifically for a given laptop.  Your only choices are from the cards that Dell decides to offer with the computer, and Dell almost never issues an upgraded video card after a computer enters production.

In deciding whether or not you need a new driver, keep in mind that drivers are software.  They can also introduce problems as well as cure them.  That is why Windows has a driver "rollback" capability.

December 29th, 2008 10:00

Thank you "JackShack" for your reply. I was indeed still looking for an answer.

No Events found!