Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2012 01:00

E1505 won't power on after BIOS update

I have an Inspiron E1505 laptop that has been working fine for as long as I remember. It runs Windows 7 Professional and every component seems to work. Earlier today, I decided to update the BIOS. The stock BIOS was A06 and I updated to A17 using Dell's Windows utility. The system rebooted and a white update screen appeared. After that, the screen suddenly went black and the computer appeared to power off. It was plugged into AC power during the update. Now, whenever I press the Power button, the Numlock, Caps lock, and Scroll lock buttons turn on along with the power light for 2 or 3 seconds and then the computer powers back off. None of the lights flash. All four simply glow for 2-3 seconds. Nothing appears on the screen. I tried powering on with only AC power and no battery and with a battery but no AC power but the result is the same. I don't think the update utility has an issue since the same update worked through Windows 7 on another E1505 I have. The difference is that the laptop it worked on has a T2400 and 2GB RAM rather than a T2050 and 1GB. Is there anything I should try to save the machine or am I screwed? Thanks

3.8K Posts

July 10th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Based upon the Num Caps Scroll lock it looks like a motherboard failure.

If you have an active warranty, send me a Private Message, click on my user name, add me as a friend, and send me your service tag, phone number and address.

Thank you

2 Posts

July 10th, 2012 09:00

So basically the BIOS flash killed the mobo?

I don't have a warranty...the laptop is 5 years old now.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 10th, 2012 09:00

Remove the battery, unplug the system and hold the power button for 30 seconds.  If the system won't power up thereafter, you're in for either an external BIOS flash (requires unsoldering the chip and flashing it externally) or a replacement system board.

No Events found!