Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2009 15:00

E1705 Fn key problem...

Hi.. I have an Inspiron 1705, and it seams that my fN keys don't work properly. eg.. when i press fn+down to lower the brightness, besides lowering the brightness windows messenger starts. When i press fn-F8 it starts auto-zooming and autoscrolling everything.

I have windows xp MSE.. and i formated them twice without solving the problem.

Thnx

March 23rd, 2009 16:00

I HAVE THE ANSWER!!! PLEASE READ AND COPY TO OTHER FORUMS! I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. Like most of you, the Fn + Down would dim the screen, however, Fn + Up would not brighten it. This is a bug that dell/intel cannot fix. There are patches that utilize linux, however, if you want the easiest way to fix the problem this is it: DOWNLOAD DARKADAPTED 2.3.4 BUILD 208. You can find it here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/DarkAdapted-Download-5641.html This is the latest version, but if the link doesn't work, look for a newer version. This program fixes the bug and allows you to adjust all the video options from the same menu. You can email your thanks and praise to me at This program fixes the bug and allows you to adjust all the video options from the same menu. You can email your thanks and praise to me at

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 21:00

whargoulas,

After reformatting, you need to install these drivers in this order.

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Rick

No Events found!