Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 15:00

E4200 Latitude ON module availability? Date? Price?

Hello all.  Have had my Latitude E4200 since mid-December 08, and have been unable to get any information on when the highly advertised "Latitude ON" hardware module will be available to E4200 owners with "Latitude ON ready" systems.  This, along with the backlit keyboard, was one of the features that prompted my purchase of this system... yet neither feature was installed in the system I received.  When (date) will the Latitude ON hardware module be released, and at what additional cost will it be sold for?  Thank you.

10 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 21:00

Don't know if I'm understanding the question...

I got my E4200 by early January 2009 and my Latitude ON is already running (calendar, contacts... and e-mail pending a fix from customer support, but saw it running once ;)

2 Posts

February 4th, 2009 07:00

Maybe that is why my unit came without the "Latitude ON module", which is supposed to be installed underneath the laptop, under the memory cover (connected by two wires/connectors and a mounting screw).  Does anyone know how I can get one of these, part number, expected date of release, price, etc?.  Thank you.

March 18th, 2009 22:00

I think you mean the LatitudeON "reader" .... this is software, and lets you look at mail, contacts and calendar... from the outlook data stored on your hard disk.

The latitude ON "hardware chip" ... is totally instant on (completely seperate ARM based CPU, not software) .... and lets you do web-broswing, download mail... and other groupware features.... it is also not limited to Outlook.

To the OP - I just received a quote from Dell to retrofit a backlit keyboard to my E4200 .... they have JUST become available.

Nobody can tell me when the Latitude On hardware will be available either.... and I AM REALLY angry.... it's almost the sole reason I bought this laptop.

I've always been a real Dell promoter... almost fanboy.... I own many Dell's   (X1, D430, D830, c300) .... but I am considering switching camps (and recommending to everyone who asks me for advice to do the same).

Can't anyone give us an update?????

1 Message

April 5th, 2009 18:00

I never owned a Dell.  I was always a fan of IBM and Sony.  I gave Dell E4300 a shot because it can use 8GB RAM and Latitude On.

I've had a completely miserable experience with my Dell.  3 replacements with the laptop.  And Latitude On - nowhere to be seen.

I spoke with my Dell rep and he said there is no ETA on the Latitude On extension.  This is really strange that a vendor in a very

competitive industry would leave its customers hanging.  Please provide an update.

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 20:00

I'm also interested to know when this module will be available.  I read long ago that this was planned to be released in November 2008.  I didn't even bother to check availability when I ordered my E4200 last month.  I just assumed it would be in there.  Dell should be more clear about the differences between

• Latitude On (The real system-on-a-chip module)
  • Latitude On Reader (Software only. boots from an HDD partition and uses the main system hardware)
  • Latitude On Ready (Includes socket and cables for the Latitude On module. I think this includes the Latitude On Reader partition)

It was only after reading many blog and forum posts that I learned the differences.

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

June 15th, 2009 20:00

I'd really like to know as well, the Reader software is a waste of time and hard drive space, takes just as long to load as coming back from hibernate and is way too limited.

1 Message

July 26th, 2009 12:00

Folks,

The hardware solution , I'm told is going to launch inthe next couple of months. There were few issues with it to start off with and Dell had to postpone the launch and sort them out.

Hope this helps.

1 Message

August 5th, 2009 03:00

Can you tell us who told you that, Guergy? [citation required]

Sounds like people have been getting told "a couple of months" since at least November 2008 and now it's 9 months on.... Do you have this from an authoritative source?

I too bought this system partly on the grounds of this capability; I had no idea how much effort it would be to get any information about it, or understand the differences. It is not reasonable to expect buyers to do this level of research before buying a system, especially when the information is obfuscated by Dell to the extent it is. I took the featured "Latitude ON" capability at face value - silly me.

Folks,

The hardware solution , I'm told is going to launch inthe next couple of months. There were few issues with it to start off with and Dell had to postpone the launch and sort them out.

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

September 14th, 2009 07:00

There has been no word from Dell with regards to "Latitude On".  Mum is the official word.  It is possible Dell is giving us the proverbial finger.  It is now September 2009, a year after the launch, with no "Latitude On" update.  I have a sneaking suspicion the "Latitude On" feature will simply not ship.  While this is the first Dell laptop I have purchased, I am confidant that this will be the last.  Back to Sony or IBM or worse Apple.

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2009 17:00

I have been anticipating getting this module since I ordered my laptop almost a year ago. The software and source code for the module showed up in the driver download page for my system yesterday

Finally, I got the module installed in my laptop this morning.

3 Posts

September 22nd, 2009 18:00

Finally, I got the module installed in my laptop this morning.

Can you give more information?  Dell sent you this by mail?  Can you confirm it is not

the Latitude-On Reader.

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2009 19:00

Its definitely the Latitude On Module.  Dell sent out a tech to install it and handle another issue that I was having with my E4300.  Unfortunately,  I have to wait until tomorrow to use it.  While taking the bezel off around the display to replace the bezel, the tech cracked the display.  I was able to turn it on and set it up though. It has a version of MontaVista Linux installed on the module.  The module has a web browser, email client, contact manager and a calendar.  The network prefs allow for use of a VPN connection which is really nice when using a public hot spot.  Also there is a option in the BIOS to have the instant on feature enabled, or disabled. It states that if Instant On is enabled that there will be a slight drain on the battery when the laptop is turned off.

1 Message

September 24th, 2009 17:00

Part number for the Latitude On module NY096

Call or ask to be transferred to the spare parts department

price is ~200

1 Message

December 19th, 2009 12:00

That part number does not exist on Dell's website.  And no one is selling the modules on eBay.  Isn't that a bit strange?

1 Message

January 30th, 2010 17:00

It has the following part number/description:

330-3360

Dell Latitude ON, Latitude E4X00, Customer Install

But I wouldn't recommend it.  I'm shipping mine back because it can't be flashed  (hardware failure).  Also, it shipped without Exchange 2007 support.  If you can believe someone would sell a product in 2009 that only supports a 2003 server package.  Wow.  Not worth much.  Maybe someone's had a better experience.  For me, it's just another Dell experience that I want to avoid.  To Lenovo!

No Events found!