Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2010 11:00

E4310 Lockup Freeze

I have E4310's that are locking up several times a day.  I reinstalled the OS and have all the updated drivers installed in the recommended order. I also installed and the latest bios A02. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Thanks

1 Message

August 23rd, 2010 08:00

We recently upgraded some users to 4310s and for the most part all appear to be fine, however I have one particular user who is locking up occasionally, but only when docked. I've swapped the dock and taken some other steps but still no luck. The machine also has some odd behavior where it doesn't output to the two external monitors until it gets to the windows login screen, and I am theorizing that there might be a hardware problem with the detection of a closed/open lid,

Did you ever find a solution to your issue?

3 Posts

August 25th, 2010 10:00

I just received my new E4310 two days ago. Yesterday it locked up twice. I was hooked up to a second monitor (Dell). My laptop monitor went black, and the dual monitor froze. I had to shut down and reboot both times. After searching several online forums, apparently there could be an issue with the i5 processor and hooking up dual monitors. I updated all (recommended updates) from dell.com. I have yet to freeze today. Fingers crossed.

3 Posts

August 26th, 2010 10:00

I just received my new E4310 two days ago. Yesterday it locked up twice. I was hooked up to a second monitor (Dell). My laptop monitor went black, and the dual monitor froze. I had to shut down and reboot both times. After searching several online forums, apparently there could be an issue with the i5 processor and hooking up dual monitors. I updated all (recommended updates) from dell.com. I have yet to freeze today. Fingers crossed.

Nevermind. It froze once yesterday afternoon and again this morning. Looks like a call into Dell Support is in order.

1 Message

December 23rd, 2010 07:00

I experience the identical symptoms described above with my E4310 when docked and the lock ups are getting really annoying.  In addition to the monitor issues when docking, the built-in mouse doesn't work when I undock the laptop.

Is there a resolution to these issues?

1 Message

December 23rd, 2010 10:00

Hey folks, this is BTRhodes, I posted earlier in this thread. Dell's fantastic login system for this community wouldn't let me log in or do a password reset, so I had to make a new account to respond!

What this ended up being for my issues was a flaw in the driver package for the NICs on our 4310s. It can manifest as a blue screen or as a lockup depending on other hardware on the machine. I found this as a solution to some bluescreens we were seeing, and conversations with Dell support indicated that it could appear as a lockup as well, and this would also fix those.

The fix was to update the network drivers per this thread at intel's community site (the NIC being intel hardware) - http://communities.intel.com/thread/15350

I followed the directions in that thread to manually fix the drivers and it worked like a charm to fix our issues. At this point in time, that fix should be built into the most recent version of the drivers available from Dell, so if you are not comfortable doing the above, or just want to get the drivers straight from the source, visit the support page for your model, ideally with the service tag entered so it limits the provided drivers to those that are relevent to your machine. Download the updated network drivers and reboot, and see if that helps.

Good luck!

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2010 10:00

I went through the Dell support route since the laptop was less than 6 months old. After a series of diagnostic tests, all of which I already went through..., the answer I received was, "Please reinstall the operating system."

This takes about a full day to reload the OS, MS Office, Adobe, etc. Wrong answer!!! Obviously there is a problem with the machine and Dell wants to blame the OS. My resolution? I ordered the Latitude E6410 and turned the E4310 to my boss, who gave it to his wife.

No Events found!