Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2015 05:00

E5430 Power off - ASF2 Force Off

We have several of this model experiencing this problem. Symptoms are the unit just powers down as if all power is removed. Nothing in eventviewer other than "system experienced and unexpected shut down". The only report I can find on this problem is in BIOS - Power logs "Power off - ASF2 force off" I have even had this happen whilst looking in the BIOS, so it's not an OS issue.

My understanding is the ASF stands for Alert Standard Format, which is built inot the firmware of (usually) network interfaces for business class machines. It is use for the OS absent remote control of machines by th IT deparment.

What I'd like to know is... What can be done to prevent this from happening? and What is happening to trigger the power off response in the ASF2 firmware? Any help would be gratefully recieved as I'd prefer to have some answers before going down any hardware swap out route.

6 Posts

November 27th, 2015 06:00

I may have found the problem. When I got the machine the BIOS was onA15. I updated to A16 which changed nothing. Looking at another E5430 with A12 Bios, adnd there is a section under Sys Config in the BIOS of System Management. Withinn that is an ASF2 Option. On this latest machine, system management is disabled (including ASF2). Had no ASF problem with this machine. I'm downgrading the teh A16 bios to A12 to see if I can disable the ASF2 and see what happens. Watch this space... 

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2015 02:00

Oh well, downgrading the Bios to A12 didn't work. the System management > ASF option button didn't appear, so no joy there. I have swapped out the processor which has slowed the instance down to onev every 6 + hours rather than every 30 minutes or so, so I have a moderatley usable machine at the moment, but I'm not confident it will stay that way...

December 4th, 2015 06:00

I have the same issue -- only when plugged in.  I have tried different power adapters (just to rule that out), and that didn't help.  Same log entries in the bios and nothing useful in windows.  And yes, mine has also shut off before the OS even started to boot.

I bought this laptop over the summer from Dell, and sent it back for a mouse issue after a week.  In addition to replacing the trackpad, they replaced the motherboard and heat sink (I didn't ask them to do this). I called them back and the very rudely told me that the warranty expired 5 days ago (since it was a 100 day warranty on the refurb), and basically told me tough luck.

I purposely bought a business class machine which I saw got good reviews as a home laptop.  I have a e7250 from work which I like, so I figured this would be good for a "sit in front of the TV" laptop for home. I've used Lenovo for years, and thought I'd give Dell a try -- BOY DO I REGRET THAT NOW!

Question: Does your E5430 have the vPro version of the bios or the non-vPro? Mine is vPro, for whatever that is worth...

6 Posts

December 7th, 2015 03:00

This particular one is the vPro...

6 Posts

December 11th, 2015 07:00

Just had it happen on an E6230 as well...

December 30th, 2015 19:00

Well I finally got a chance to sit down and see what I could come up with on this frustrating issue.  Admittedly, I am shooting in the dark, but I found out that the ASF protocol is part of the Intel Management Engine, which is part of the Intel AMT feature set.  So I went into menu and selected the Intel Management Engine settings, and disabled the AMT features as follows:

1. Press at cold boot

2. When boot menu appears, select "Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx)"

3. When it comes up, select MEBx Login, and enter the default password which is: "admin"

4. You will now be prompted to enter a new STRONG password, which has a one uppercase, one lowercase, one symbol and needs to be at least 8 characters.  If feeling unoriginal, try "DellE5430.", which is what I used...

5. Select the "Intel (R) AMT Configuration" item and then change "Manageability Feature Selection" to Disabled, and after a second or two when the pop-up disclaimer appears press "Y".

6. Hit Escape to get back to the main menu and then select "MEBx Exit".

I have no idea if this will work, but I figured disabling this may avoid this issue going forward.  Again, a shot in the dark, but worth a try.

Note: If the IME Bios Extension is not visible in your F12 boot menu, then reboot and try

instead, which is an alternative entry point to the Intel Management Engine configuration.

April 26th, 2016 15:00

Just tried this on a 6540 which has the same issue. Still powered off while at lunch.

No Events found!