Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2012 04:00

E6320 BIOS post-upgrade problem

Hi,

I use laptop E6320 (protected with BIOS HDD password) on a E-port with external monitors. After upgrade to BIOS A08 (from A06) version there is no more visible display of HDD password box on external monitor and I have to enter it in blind (waiting 10 sec after powering the laptop on dock). Before upgrade there were no problem (HDD psw box was diplayed on external monitor). Additionally the hard drive is also protected with encryption software (Safeguard), which runs before Windows and request the paswword in dos mode - It is also no more visible on external monitors.  If I remove the laptop from dock and power it, the HDD password box is visualized on laptop LCD panel as well as encryption dialog password. To summarize, it seems that after bios upgrade laptop is no more sending signals to external monitors (on dock) in bios mode and "dos" mode. It seems as bug in bios, but may be I'm wrong. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

One more information - I also try to upgrade the bios to A12 (last available version), but it does not solve the problem.

1 Message

May 9th, 2012 13:00

I'm encountering a similar issue after a BIOS update (done to try to resolve some sleep/hibernate issues). Any pre-OS (POST/startup) video is not being output if the E6320's lid is closed, while docked.

We also have a pre-Windows encryption client, so the user would be forced to enter their credentials blind and wait for the OS to load.

Unfortunately, if this is a BIOS update problem... I doubt I can back-rev the BIOS and flash to an earlier version (if I can even get ahold of an earlier version). I foresee having to get support to swap in an entirely new mainboard and hope the BIOS is an older rev.

1 Rookie

• 

115 Posts

May 9th, 2012 15:00

One more point, if you re-flash while docked, you probably won't see the progress screen. Sit tight and wait (5 min or more) and the machine should boot into windows. If you reflash undocked, I believe the progress screen will appear (I did the reflash while docked).

1 Rookie

• 

115 Posts

May 9th, 2012 15:00

A couple of days ago, I flashed the BIOS to A12 from A08. As a result, while docked, I lost the Dell splash screen (Bios version, F12 options , etc.) - the machine simply booted into widows (win 7 pro). I was able to re-flash the Bios back to ver A08 which restored that functionality. There was no problem downgrading to an older Bios verion - look for "other versions" after you select A12.

This was reported to a Pro-tech support person who wrote up a ticket for the observed behavior. I suggest you also notify tech support if this is your problem to help expedite a fix.

No Events found!