Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2013 01:00

E6320

I had a user drop this laptop. It appers the screen has power but has no pic. Tried to hook up an external monitor. No video also. Did not appear to be booting.

Ordered a new system board and install it . Same thing. It appears the CPU is working as the light appears to be working and it gets hot. Also the fan does not power on.  What should i try next???  Also when you put the battery in the battery light flashes on the rear of the laptop and on the display by the keyboard.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

February 22nd, 2013 03:00

Hi bradystjames,

As the laptop is receiving power, I would like to know the status and color of the power button of the laptop.

Also please check if the laptop is beeping or displaying any diagnostic LED lights.

To test the LCD screen of the laptop please, I suggest you to run LCS BIST (Built in Self-Test).

While running this test, the LCD is operating on its own, free of the video controller which may be discrete (a video card) or onboard (on the system board). The test allows you to tell an LCD panel problem from a problem with the controller. If the colors are displayed across the screen without a problem then the issue lies outside of the LCD.

Press and hold “D” key and power on the system and release both the keys (D + Power button) to initiate LCD BIST.

Check if different colors are displayed on the screen, if the colors are not displayed then the problem is with the LCD screen.

Please post the results.

February 22nd, 2013 04:00

The color of the power button is white . Laptop does not make any error noises or beeps.The LCS BIST Does work. Colors are displayed on the screen. I figured it was not the screen at first because i had ordered a new system baord and replaced the old one. It still doesn not boot up. Thanks for your help. Im open for any other suggestions.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

February 25th, 2013 10:00

Hi bradystjames,

Based on the results the problem could be with the Video card of the laptop, as the video card is integrated on the motherboard, please check if there is a possibility try swapping the motherboard at a local tech store and check the functionality of the computer before you purchase it.

Please reply for any further help.

February 25th, 2013 22:00

I work for a very large automotive company in the IS dept. We can not take any computers outside of the compay due to sensitive infromation may be on them.This laptop is under warrenty and i have already received and put in the new motherboard. Should i send it back to dell?? i really do not belive it is the motherboard. i think its something else.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

February 26th, 2013 08:00

Hi bradystjames,

As you said the computer cannot be taken out of the company, I would request you to private message me the service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name of the computer, I will check and let you know further course of action.

To private message, click on my user name, click Add as friend and click start conversation. 

Awaiting your response.

March 18th, 2013 21:00

ok received the motherboard and installed it. We now have video and a picture. HOWEVER it is VERY distorted. When plugging in an external monitor the picture is fine on that one. Took it aprt again and resat the video cable. Same issue. What would you suggest now?? a Video cable or a whole new LCD?? thank you !

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

March 20th, 2013 18:00

Hi Bradystjames,

I am glad that the motherboard is replaced and the display is back. As the Video is distorted, I would like to know if the video drivers were installed after replacement of motherboard.

If not, then please install the video card drivers from this link: http://dell.to/161iylz

Click the above link click download file and follow the onscreen instructions to install the drivers. Restart the computer ad check the display.

Please post the results.

No Events found!