Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2009 00:00

E6400 Integrated webcam is not working

hello everybody ;

i just got a new Latitude E6400 laptop at work , and i couldnt install the driver for the integrated webcam , eachtime i try it tells me that : "an error occured while setting up the driver" ,,, im not sure if dell has made something to disable the webcam or not !!

also i have the same issue with the internal mic , i cant make it work and i dont know even how ...

anybody can help with this ?

thank you so much guys,

A.Danial

3 Posts

January 10th, 2013 01:00

Hello, Adanial!

I'm puzzled.  My Latitude E6400 laptop shows the same symptoms as yours.

How did you solve it?  (if you are still here... after so much time)

Thanks in advance.

1.8K Posts

January 10th, 2013 02:00

Hi shamdalam,

Could you please let me know the error message if any. 

Are you not able to use Webcam through Dell Webcam central or any other application like Skype etc?

Latitude E6400 has three variants: Latitude E6400, Latitude E6400 ATG and Latitude E6400 XFR. Please let me know the exact system model and operating system.

You may try the following steps:

Check under 'Imaging Devices' in 'Device Manager' and see if the Integrated webcam gets detected. To check webcam in 'Device Manager':

• Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
  • Click on “Manage”.
  • Click on “Device Manager”.
  • Under “Imaging Devices”, you will find the 'Webcam' listed.
  • If the webcam is not listed there, you would need to update the BIOS  

Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

Link to download BIOS:

Steps to download BIOS:-

• Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the BIOS on your desktop.
  • Once the BIOS is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Follow the prompts on screen and restart your computer.

Then uninstall and reinstall USB root hubs following the steps below:

1. Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’
  2. From the list, look for ‘USB Root Hub’
  3. Right click, choose ‘Uninstall’, choose ‘Ok’
  4. Uninstall all ‘USB Root Hub’ listed
  5. Wait for all the drivers to get uninstalled
  6. Restarted the computer
  7. Restarting the computer will install ‘USB Root Hub’s automatically on the computer

If the webcam gets detected, you can uninstall and re-install the 'Webcam' application from control panel and see if it works.

To uninstall open 'Programs and Features' by clicking the Start button  -- > Control Panel -- > Programs -- > Programs and Features --> Select a program then click Uninstall.

Re-install webcam click on the link: http://dell.to/SZiyuN (might work)

Steps to download drivers:-

• Click 'Download file' to download the list to a folder you will designate.
  • Click 'Save'. Then designate the folder you would like to save the files to.
  • Once you have designated the folder you would like to save your files to, Click 'OK'.
  • Selected downloads will automatically start downloading. Next is Installation.
  • To start installation, Click Open folder. Right-click a downloaded file and select the option to ‘Run as administrator’.
  • A small window will appear with 'Continue' and 'Exit' buttons, click 'Continue'.
  • In the Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to window, click OK.
  • If a message appears asking to create a folder, click 'Yes'. If a message appears asking to overwrite the folder, click 'Yes to All'.
  • In the All files were successfully unzipped window, click OK.
  • A new window will appear, follow the prompts that appear to finish the installation.
  • Restart your computer.

Another step you can try is to install a patch for it from link: http://dell.to/Zv2T8O and see if it works. 

Please share the findings.

3 Posts

January 10th, 2013 03:00

Hi, Chinmay.

Device is not detected in device manager.  I did what you suggested (uninstalling usb root hubs and reboot) but the camera device is not detected in any way (not even as unknown device).

Thanks.

1.8K Posts

January 11th, 2013 05:00

Hi shamdalam,

You can update the system BIOS from the link: 

Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved. 

You can try pressing area around the webcam and see if it gets detected. If it does, it is an issue with loose webcam cable.  If not, the webcam need replacement. If the system is under warranty, you can private message me the Service Tag of your computer. 

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

3 Posts

January 14th, 2013 00:00

Hi, Chimnay,

BIOS updated as you suggested, but no luck.  :-(

I also checked webcam cabling (I took out the display bezel) and it's ok.  So it might be the webcam itself.

How much does it cost the replacement, since my laptop is not in warranty?

Regards.

1.8K Posts

January 15th, 2013 05:00

Hi shamdalam,

Have you tried installing the patch from the previous post?

If the issue still persists, it might require a webcam replacement. Since the warranty of your computer has expired. You can get in touch with any local technician or Dell Sales department at: http://dell.to/10wngsD to get this issue resolved. 

No Events found!