Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2011 10:00

E6400 locks up when on docking station

Hello,

I’ve had a Dell E6400 with Windows 7 Professional for several months now and it has worked great.  Or at least it did until I started using the docking station.  Now it randomly freezes up all the time.  No “blue screen of death,” just freezes with whatever is on the screen.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when or how often it occurs.

Please note, this is not the “freezes when docking or undocking” issue I’ve seen on the web.  I don’t dock or undock with the computer turned on.  This is ONLY happening when it’s ON the docking station.  Off the docking station, it works fine and doesn’t ever freeze.

If it helps, hardware connected to the docking station is:

LG 24” monitor

An older Creative Soundblaster with the Windows 7 driver

Late-model HP printer

Microsoft brand wireless optical mouse (which I also use when undocked).

I appreciate any suggestions or information!

Regards,

Wayne

3.8K Posts

December 13th, 2011 02:00

Hi wpflugha,

Welcome to the Community. I suggest you remove the docking profile and have the computer recreate another docking profile. Undock the computer from the docking station. Click on start, right click on computer, click on properties, click on advances system settings, click on Advanced, under User Profile click on settings, you should see the docking profile listed there, highlight it and click on delete, if there is more than one docking profile, delete that as well. once its removed restart your computer, and then dock the system so it will create a new dock profile.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

2 Posts

December 14th, 2011 18:00

Hi Royan,

Thanks for your reply!  I followed your instructions, but when I got the User Profile window open, the only Profile option is "Default Profile."  Is it okay to delete that and follow the rest of your instructions?

Thanks,

Wayne

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

January 19th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

This thread says NO Profile for docking station:

en.community.dell.com/.../19324447.aspx

Mine is exactly the same and the above thread shows many people have this same problem from day 1. I've been using few machines (but none of them were E6400) on D and E docks at work, they have been good that why I decided to buy a dock for this E6400. And the machine freezes very often when docked.

BH

No Events found!