Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2010 21:00

E6500 track stick acts all jerky after installing Dell Touchpad / Pointing Stick driver

I just installed Windows 7 Pro on a fresh hard drive. The pointing stick was working perfectly. Smooth and accurate. However, the touchpad could not be disabled since I didn't have the touchpad drivers installed. I went onto Dell's support site, downloaded the proper drivers according to the service tag I provided, and restarted the computer. Now, the track stick movement is jerky. It stops and goes, especially when moving diagonally, in circles, or fast. It is now painful to use and has become completely inaccurate and inefficient.

Does anyone know of an alternate driver, or perhaps a fix? If I uninstall the existing driver, I will not be unable to disable the touchpad. I am fully capable of using a touchpad but am more proficient with the track stick.

Thanks!

2 Posts

December 18th, 2010 12:00

I figured the problem out and have implemented the solution. The problem appears to be the Dell Alps driver. When uninstalled, the track stick flows smoothly. When installed, jerky. I downloaded the Toshiba laptop Alps driver and am currently using that until Dell updates the Dell driver. I have informed Technical Support of this issue and hopefully it will be resolved with an update. For now, things are going well with the Toshiba driver.

No Events found!