Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2011 13:00

E6510 Latitude overheating, power supply also overheating

E6510 Latitude overheating, power supply overheating

I've deployed the first 15 of the E6510 with Windows 7 Enterprise as part of my pilot project, and all of the users are complaining of severe overheating (including frequent bios messages of shutting down due to overtemp), along with severe overheating of the power supply. The users are quite concerned that the laptop or power supply will ignite, it gets so hot. One user complains she was burned when she touched her power supply. I have observed these symptoms personally.

Is anyone else experiencing this with the Latitude E6510? The bios version is 5.0 on all of them, I am not sure what else to try. I am now opening a support ticket.

297 Posts

March 1st, 2011 12:00

I notice that nobody has responded. The systems overheating and also the power bricks overheating suggest some big voltage drop. Maybe you have a batch of faulty power bricks. What model power adapters did you get? Maybe try a 90 watt from an older Dell.

As to the systems themselves. See this thread. Might be related issues

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19332561.aspx

What Dell tech say?

2 Posts

March 1st, 2011 14:00

I've got a ticket open with Dell, they will change the main board Friday to see if the heating problem goes away; if so, they will replace the main boards in all of the overheating E6510's in my inventory.

One of the engineers noticed that it was warm while he was performing routine router maintenance (mostly CLI, so very little video utilization), but later the same evening he was doing something video intensive and noticed the heat. If the processor and the video card use the same exhaust channel, I guess this could be related to the video card, but this is all speculation on my part.

I will update this thread later next week...

May 16th, 2011 18:00

I'm a user and am experiencing this problem with the power supply only.  Will call tech support and report back.

September 20th, 2014 01:00

I know this post is very old! But for anyone stumbling upon this my power supply was getting VERY HOT, my issue came from using a long heavy duty extension cord. Back to normal temps with no extension cord.

1 Message

March 6th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

I know that this is an older post but I am having the overheat issue with my E6510 I have gone through all of the BIOS updates up until A16 but I have had no success. I have completely reinstalled windows and replaced heatsink. Any suggestions on what I should attempt to do next?

Thanks for your help,

Lief

No Events found!