Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 2nd, 2015 02:00

E6530 intermittently won't boot

I have a Latitude E6530 and about half the time when I power it on the laptop shows the Dell logo then hangs. Then after about 30 seconds it turns itself off. If I turn it back on it starts just fine.

Once the laptop has booted, I can repeatedly shut it down and power it on and it will be fine. But if I leave it a few hours then half the time it won't boot.

My guess is it's something to do with the disk, but I've tried with two different disks (one mechanical and one SSD) and both show the problem. I've tried setting the disk mode to AHCI and Raid, and both show the problem. It doesn't make any difference whether the laptop is on the mains or the battery, but either way it only happens after the laptop has been off for a while.

This isn't a big deal, since the laptop always boots (at the second attempt!) and works just fine, but it's annoying. Can anyone suggest what might be causing it, or any checks I can run to try and identify the cause? I've thought about contacting support (it has support till December) but since the problem is intermittent it's likely to be hard to replicate for the engineer.

1.2K Posts

September 2nd, 2015 05:00

Hi John ,

I would suggest you to try these steps and advise the result ,

*Is this issue seen with charger or battery or with both of them .

*Were there any software / hardware changes made to the system .

*Have you tried to initiate dell diagnostics on the system ,this performs a through check on system's hardware .And reports error code if there is any hardware failure .

I hope this helps ,but if there are any other concerns do write to us with the system service tag sent via private message so that I can assist you further .

Kind Regards,

September 2nd, 2015 09:00

Hi Jennifer.

Thanks for replying. The issue is present whether the laptop is on the charger or on the battery. If I remove the battery the issue is present if I leave the charger connected, however if I remove the charger (i.e. neither battery nor main power) the laptop always boots normally. It looks as if completely removing all power resets whatever is causing the problem.

The laptop has had the problem as long as I've owned it (I bought it second hand on ebay a while back). Originally it had BIOS A13 - I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest version, A16, but this made no difference at all.

I have done the built in diagnostic test (press F12 at boot and choose diagnostics) and this reports "All tests passed".

Thanks again for helping. I will message you the tag number.

1 Message

October 4th, 2015 03:00

Hi,

Have You managed to solve this issue? I`ve got exactly same symptoms in my e6530.

Best Regards

October 4th, 2015 12:00

Hi Blajsero,

Dell replaced the motherboard under warranty, and that seemed to fix the problem. However since then the problem has recurred. Since the laptop is working just fine apart from this problem I've decided to just ignore it!

1 Message

August 8th, 2016 01:00

We were experiencing the same symptoms with Windows 10, UEFI boot partition and Secure Boot enabled.

We were able to resolve the issue after removing the "Windows Boot Manager" entry from the start-up settings in the Bios, and adding it again.  It seems like the boot entry that was added during the Windows installation is not 100% compatible with the Bios.  Adding the boot entry through the Bios seems to resolve this, at least on our Latitude E6530 with Bios version A17.  

We also changed the Fastboot setting from 'Thorough' / 'Auto' to 'Minimal'.  The laptop refused to start the Dell Diagnostics while the FastBoot settings was not set to 'Minimal'.

Also note that the system successfully passed the 'Thorough' test in Dell Diagnostics.

Peter

August 8th, 2016 01:00

Thanks Peter.

In this case it seems to have been a motherboard problem. The motherboard failed again recently, and since Dell fitted the (second) replacement motherboard the problem hasn't recurred. However your suggestion will be on my list for when i eventually get around to installing Windows 10.

John Rennie

No Events found!