Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2014 04:00

E7240 and docking station

Hi

We are running more than200 dell computers in our company. lately we purchased E7240 for some users but it looks like the AC adapter does not work with the Dell E-Port docking station we have and that cause the USB hubs not to function at all.

currently the workaround is to plug the AC adapter to the laptop instead of the docking station. is there anyone who had the same problem ? can give more information ?

our BIOS is updated to the latest version. also a message comes up when the ac adapter connected to the docking station before the windows boot up saying the ac adapter won't charge :()

Appreciate your help.

September 24th, 2014 14:00

Also experiencing this problem.  Worse, it also throttles the CPU speed down to a fraction of what it runs when the Power is connected directly to the computer and not through the docking station, probably thinking it is battery save mode or something...

Have updated to the latest BIOS, but the problem still exists.

Any other suggestions.

7 Posts

October 30th, 2014 16:00

Did you ever get a solution to this error message. I have a few computers giving the same error "The batter currently...".  It seems like a false positive because after pressing F1 the charging works fine.

I am a desktop support person for my company.  We have been using Dell computers for longer than the three years I have been here.

We have seen this so far on two E7440s.   "the battery currently attached to the system will not supply enough power to the dock for it to function. Please attach AC power to the dock for it to function normally"

The power supply works with the computer but not with the dock and when in BIOS, the power supply isn't recognized.  Doesn't matter what dock or power supply we use.    The first resolution was to open a ticket with  Dell and the motherboard was replaced.   That computer worked fine for about 6 months before getting this error.  I have a new ticket open today for a second computer.  This computer has only been in use for a couple weeks.   Probably going to provide that person another computer and have Dell replace the motherboard on this one.    It's got the latest BIOS.   The failure rate on these brand new computers is not satisfactory.

Doug

December 2nd, 2014 14:00

Just got the E7240 and getting this essage when connecting it to a docking station that worked perfectly well with the older E6 series laptop I had.

I have BIOS A11

Any suggested fixes?  Looking at this forum its been ongoing for a few months.

Do I call Dell and get a motherboard replacement?  My PC is less than 2 weeks old.

cheers

D

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 19:00

I simply updated my bios and all was ok.

1 Message

December 7th, 2014 21:00

I'm having the same exact problem.  I am running the E7240 with the A10 BIOS and upgraded to Dell Command Power Manager...so now I get a pretty screen from Power Manager telling me the same exact thing.  Can you help us Shawn B?  Thanks!

2 Posts

February 27th, 2015 06:00

Has anyone heard from Dell on this docking issue with the 7240 and 7440? I currently have a VP who went through three laptop shells and the issue still persists. I have ran bios/driver updates as well as replacing docking station and power supply. Has any sort of conclusion been made on this issue?

130 Posts

February 28th, 2015 01:00

Just mentioning I've seen this problem once on my E5440 in the two months I've been using it docked.

Can't remember the exact circumstances or what I did to resolve, probably just cycled the power or undocked/redocked or rebooted.

Suggests a wider problem on all recent Latitudes.  I think a large part of the BIOS code is shared between models.

June 2nd, 2015 00:00

I have the same problem on several E7240 laptops, I have tried the latest bios A14  with no success

When will we se a solution for this error?

7 Posts

June 10th, 2015 15:00

Did the users have 2 Dell 20 inch 2007 monitors?

13 Posts

No. One of them had an advanced model docking station with 2 24 inch Dell monitors from ~2013-2014. The other user had a standard model docking station with 1 24 inch Dell monitors. I have ~75 other users with similar setups with no issues.

13 Posts

I have seen this so far on maybe 3 of our ~75 e7440 laptops

1 Message

July 9th, 2015 08:00

Hi Shawn, We are seeing the same message with some of our E7240's & E7440's.  The common denominator is that they have the Dell Power Manager software installed and the message appears to be a power manager message.  I have two questions:

1. Is there a power manager setting that needs to be adjusted?
  2. Are the docking stations intended to run on laptop battery power?

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

July 9th, 2015 13:00

Hi all,

I apologize for my absence! I’ve received clarification from our engineers regarding this error message. While some of you should have found the error message is no longer received after updating your systems BIOS. This update will have no effect for others with 42/45/47WHr batteries installed. This is due to a limitation of the batteries design. For systems with these batteries installed AC power will need to be connected directly to the system as they will be unable to receive the correct charge through E-legacy Docking stations.

Latitude E-Legacy dock requires A/C power with some system batteries.

If anyone is receiving this error even when the system is connected directly to AC power or with one of the other batteries offered with these units installed the message is likely due to a battery that’s reached the end of its life or a faulty/ damaged connection to the motherboard.   

July 10th, 2015 02:00

Hi,

How do you tell if you have one of the affected batteries?

cheers

D

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

July 15th, 2015 14:00

Hey dangeroursdan,

You can confirm the battery version installed in your system by checking the serial sticker on the battery its self:

This information could also be found on your original order summery or invoice https://www.dell.com/support/orderstatus/us/en/19/invoice/MyInvoices  

No Events found!