Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2014 14:00

E7440 Intermittent Boot Problems

Hi, (Apologies first post and originally posted this in the desktop forum)

I have a new E7440, i7 vPro, with a 256GB mSATA drive and running Windows 8.

After only 2 days it came up with a "No bootable device found" error message. (I have no external drives connected or modifications made to the system).

After removing the battery and checking connections to the drive (LiteOn LMT-256M6M) the system rebooted, and worked fine until it was next turned off when the error re-appeared. 

When I hit F5 and did the on board diagnostics, it came up with the message that the hard drive was not installed. Again after removing the battery and check the drive it rebooted and I managed to make a recovery disk.

Dell, (the support from their ProSupport team have been good), replaced the hard drive within 2 days with an new identical drive, re-installed Windows and downloaded the latest driver firmware DM8110F, (which was the original installed driver) all was well until...a day later when the problem has re-occurred. 

I will continue to work through the problem with the pro-support team, and post details of any working solution we find but wondered if anyone else has experienced the same issues.

8 Posts

July 31st, 2014 13:00

Yep, after cloning the OS drive across a few other drives with the same symptoms I came to the same conclusion. I am currently on the phone w/ support to get this RMA'ed. 

So to anyone down the road googling this issue, the TL;DR of this issue is as follows:

Hardware fault on the motherboard, resolution is to RMA. 

/Thread. 

8 Posts

Chiming in here, I have a e7440 with the exact same symptoms. No resolution as of yet. 

4 Posts

Hi,

Just to update my original post.

Given the fact that the laptop was new, Dell accepted that having these issues so soon after its purchase was not acceptable. They replaced the laptop with a new and identically specified E7440 and I have been operating this new machine with no problems for the last few months.  I suggest contacting the sales team that sold you the product as they are more likely to organise a replacement whereas the technical support team will persist in trying to solve the problem.  

It may be the case that there is a batch of E7440 out there with a hardware assembly issue.

By the way I'm very happy with the new laptop so once this problem is sorted they are an excellent product.

Cheers

11 Posts

December 9th, 2014 03:00

same issue

bios couldn't see the drive either

I moved the Msata card from the 2.5 bay to the dedicated msata slot and it worked again!

turns out the Msata to Esata converter adapter thing was broken.

I dont need it now since the Msata card lives in the MSata slot, and i've freed up the 2.5inch bay for a proper 2.5 SSD 

....so i now have 2 drives and only took an hour of downtime to figure out

12 Posts

December 15th, 2014 16:00

I was wondering about this. Can you just remove the msata ssd from the sata slot without any problems? Is there anything else you had to do or was it just remove and replace and reboot the computer?

1 Message

January 22nd, 2015 13:00

I tried the same thing and you only have to remove it from the Sata "bracket" it is in and then fit it into the mSATA slot. Nothing else is necessary.

1 Message

October 31st, 2015 04:00

Many thanks! I had the same problem with my work laptop, tried your solution and worked perfectly.
It seems the adaptor is defective.

Best regards

No Events found!