Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 1st, 2015 12:00

E7440 - Not Waking up From Sleep

We have a fairly new E7440 that when you open the lid, more often than not the user is presented with a black screen but able to move a mouse pointer around it. Sometimes it goes to the blue background Windows screen, again with a moving mouse, but nothing else happening. It will sit on either screen forever, and if the user closes the lid again, the sleep process will not start - it'll just just keep the LCD powered on even though the lid is closed. The user has to hard power off her computer and reboot it.

It's got a SSD with OPAL encryption, Windows 7 x64, 8GB of memory, i7. The system doesn't have anything particularly exciting on it, just Office, so I don't think it has anything to do with installed software.

Any ideas what the solution is?

2 Intern

• 

157 Posts

May 1st, 2015 14:00

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, drive and BIOS firmware are all up to date, it's a fresh Windows 7 installation with the latest Dell drivers for all the components installed. Basically new out of the box, except erased and reinstalled with WIndows 7 + latest Dell drivers for my service tag.

There's no startup services that can be disabled as it's a near-fresh Windows 7 installation, unless Dell's drivers install some startup services that need to be disabled. If that's the case, that's your area of expertise on what the drivers install and what doesn't need to be enabled.

Removing a login password isn't an option - that's the purpose of the encrypted SSD, we can't have anyone who opens the lid of the laptop be able to access the system.

Also not sure what you mean by OPAL may have other solutions - this system was purchased entirely from Dell, I did not purchase a 3rd party drive and add it to the system.

Any other ideas on what I can check?

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

May 1st, 2015 14:00

Hi decker12,

Thanks for the post! My initial suspicion would be that the Drive encryption is prompting this on resume. Have you been able to check for any HDD Firmware updates and install the latest BIOS available for this system?

If this is a custom Windows image, do you have any other systems without the encryption service already enabled, to confirm the image is functioning as it should?

Another step may be to try disabling start up services and removing a log in password prompt to see if this helps access the system.

OPAL may have other solutions, but let us know how it goes!

Thanks, 

No Events found!