Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2013 07:00

Error Code 2000-0142 on Drive 0

After booting my computer and logging onto the startup password I receive the message "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute.  Please save your work".  The computer is running Windows Home 7.

The diagnostics program stated "error code 2000-0142 on drive 0".  Apparently I need a new hard drive But:

Is Drive 0 seperate from the primary hard drive? (where all my software and programs are?)

If not, how can I boot the computer to save all my files onto an external drive?  Or more specifically- How can I save all my files prior to changing the hard drive?

How do I get this serviced?

Thank you, Tom

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 23rd, 2013 07:00

Drive 0 is the main system drive.  If you do not have a backup, immediately STOP USING the system, remove the drive and mount it in a 2.5" external shell.  Example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392032

Attach the drive to a working system and see what you can still read - you should be able to get most of your data back.

The drive then needs to be replaced.  If the system is under warranty, call Dell with the error and they'll replace the drive.  If it's out of warranty you'll need to purchase a new hard drive - and you'll also need the backup restore media you (hopefully) made when you received the system.  If you didn't, you will have to contact Dell for the restore media (for which there will be a charge if you're out of warranty).

No Events found!