Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

September 7th, 2008 13:00

Error setting up the MD3 power button - Media Direct 3 / Windows reinstall problem

I'm putting a bigger hard drive into my Inspriron 6000 and trying to reinstall Media Direct 3 / Windows XP.  I'm following the instuctrions by runing media direct first to partition the HD.  But, while the partitioning is completed sucessfully, I get the following error:

Running Media Direct Tools to Activate MD3 Button Capability 

[md3patch] Updating XLOADER on disk 80h 

[md3patch] Unable to Locate Media Direct BIOS Table

[DOIT.BAT] - Error setting up the MD3 power button strike a key when ready...

I can successfully reinstall windows at this point, but when I try to continue with the Media Direct DVD after the windows reinstall it fails. 

I'm running BIOS version A09, as far as I know it is the most recent version.

Any clues would be appreciated.

I should mention that this reinstall is a result of the windows/system32/config/system directory apparenttly getting wiped out on the original HD (my daughter was using it at the time, I don't know what went wrong).  I had been planning to upgrade my HD for some time, so I am forced to do it now.  I did run diagnostics on the laptop with the new HD installed and it passed.

2 Posts

April 25th, 2009 10:00

HI,

Did you ever get this issue resolved?  I am running into the exact same issue trying to reinstall XP on an Inspiron E1505.

Thank you.

June 5th, 2009 16:00

I'm getting the exact same message while attempting a reinstall on my Inspiron 6000.  My HD crashed and I'm installing a new bigger HD.  Did you get any resolution to this through Dell?  How did you solve it or work around? 

Thanks!

Lisa

No Events found!