Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2007 19:00

Express card quit working

I have a Dell INSPIRION E1705 and have been using a Verizon Broadband Express car V640. It has quit working. I am not getting the power light on the card and I have removed the program and re-installed the latest software and it will not even find the device. I have verified that the card works on another computer so I know that is not the problem. I have also tried an earlier restore point to see if that might help and it did not. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on what I can try and or how I can find out if the reader is even working?
Thanks

2.2K Posts

July 24th, 2007 17:00

DWIGHTT,

The only other test I can think to try is another card.

One last thing to try is to find the ExpressCard slot in the Device Manager and remove it, and then reboot the system and let Windows redetect it.  I would suggest removing the drivers and the software for the card first, then remove the ExpressCard controller, then reboot and reinstall everything.

If that does not work, then most likely the ExpressCard slot has failed.

3 Posts

August 10th, 2007 21:00

I have the exact problem with my E1705. On July 20th I was online and out of the blue it just stopped. In the VZAccess Manager screen it showed that the device was not inserted. After calling Verizon they decided to send me a new V640 Express card and after receiving it I still have the same problem. Although it is obviously seated in the slot it is not being recognized. I have looked in the the slot to see if I can notice any damage but every thing appears to be okay. The second tech I spoke with at Verizon says it's a hardware issue because the reason it is not lighting up is because it is not receiving power. I've spent quite a few hours with the techs here at Dell and basically they just have me load different drivers and I guess cross my fingers and hope for the best, unfortuneately the problem has not yet been resolved but am still hopeful. M.

3 Posts

November 18th, 2007 18:00

Just an overdue update to my last post. A dell Tech came out with both a new motherboard and network card adapter. while disassembling my notebook, he had noticed that the electrical connection between the adapter and the motherboard had actually seperated. He went ahead and replaced both pieces on the presumption that one of them had a flaw and that's what caused the connection not to hold. After reassembly the lights on the aircard came on and I had a great connection to the internet.

Well, about two months later the same problem occured.... no light on the card and VZAccess manager was waiting for the card to be inserted although it was obviously in and seated well....

So rather than even picking up the phone to call the support line. I ran down to the store, picked up some tiny screwdrivers, came back and took apart enough of my notebook to see that once again the electrical connection between the adapter and the motherboard had become seperated. I reseated the connector and after reassembly I once again had a working network card.

The conection between the two piece didn't really feel solid but so far it has managed to hold for a few months. But... I do have my tiny screwdrivers on standby!!!

3 Posts

November 19th, 2007 13:00

Thanks for the update. I will obtain some small screwdrivers and see if this is also the case on my laptop. How much do I have to take apart to get to that part of the board? Thanks again

3 Posts

November 24th, 2007 18:00

Hiya Dwight, I had watched and helped the tech working on my laptop and kept good mental notes. So when it came time for me to do the procedure I probably had it apart and back together in about thirty minutes. As to how much you have to disassemble... I can tell you that you'll need to remove the top with the screen from the base ... and just be careful with those tiny wires. M.

3 Posts

November 27th, 2007 00:00

Hey M, Thanks much for the update again. Will check it out and see what I find!
No Events found!