Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 7th, 2016 07:00

Extension Speakers not Working on Dell (Displaylink Hub)

I have a Dell XPS 9333 laptop that works through a Dell (Displaylink) 3G Hub. I'm running Windows 10 and have the latest Displaylink software (7.9) loaded, yet when I connect extension speakers (that work on other computers) I only still hear sound through the laptop and not the extension speakers that are plugged into the hub.

I have also ran all the various diagnostic tests supplied by Dell & Windows

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 7th, 2016 19:00

I suggest checking to see if the external speakers are detected by the notebook.  Right click on the speaker icon on the bottom right of the task bar and choose playback devices.  What devices are listed here? Do you see the external speakers, or anything mentioning display link?  Select the external speakers and click the configure button and click test, do you hear sound from them now?  If so select the external speaker, and then click the set default button and then try the external speakers. 

Please let me know if the problem continues. 

TB

3 Posts

June 8th, 2016 01:00

Hello Terry,

Thanks for this suggestion, I was able to pick up 2 sources i.e. "Dell USB Auto" & "Realtek HD Audio" and when I select Dell as the default the extension speakers are recognized when plugged into the hub and the laptop is also connected through the hub.

When I disconnect my laptop, it automatically reverts to Realtek as the default and sound is then played through the laptop speakers.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Paul 

3 Posts

June 8th, 2016 01:00

I should have mentioned that the only inconvenience is that when I connect the notebook to the Hub it does not automatically select Dell Audio and I have to manually change this to the default one.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 8th, 2016 12:00

It can be frustrating, I certainly miss having the system detect that i just plugged in speakers and automatically select those speakers, the good thing about it is that once you know where to look it doesn't take a lot of time selecting the speakers. 

TB

No Events found!