Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2009 07:00

External hard drive and iPod recognized but inaccessible?

I've got a Fantom external hard drive and a new iPod nano that, up until this morning, were working perfectly with my Inspiron 1150. This evening, I had to restart my computer because of some problems with the internet. When it had rebooted, the hard drive (F:) was no longer visible, and when I plugged in my iPod, iTunes said it was corrupted. I went through all the various fixes--restart, unplug, reset iPod, etc. I also switched the ports around a couple times, but to no avail.

The weird thing is, both devices show up in the device manager, and the computer recognizes that they are connected (i.e. the iPod charges and the computer makes the little 'ding' when I plug in the external), but I can't access the files on either one. I also tried both devices on another computer, so I know they are working fine. And I've got a mouse attached to the USB hub that's working just fine.

I've also tried some more advanced fixes, like deleting registry keys (as directed by Microsoft) and going through the device manager. I also used Tweak UI to see if the drive was just being hidden, but it wasn't.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2012 01:00

I now have EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM...did you ever figure out how to get the drives recognized?  I have over 100GB of files to transfer...please email < ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy > if anyone has the answer.

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2012 02:00

One thing worked finally and it pertains to the clue of when it does show in the Device Manager, it shows as a volume that is no named. You have to get it a name. Now, yes, I know, it has a name on all the other computers. OK, right click on the "no name" volume in the Device Manger. One other option showed that I finally tried and this works it out. Perhaps you will need to transfer all your data, a full copy to another hard drive. Don't worry, you can transfer it back. I had the advantage of it being basically empty. But in the Windows 7 Device Manager, there are these wonderful handy ways to organize hard drives, partitions, formatting, extending etc. But the one option we have to click on available, the magic pill- Delete Volume. Once deleted, now it will let you format it. Once you do that and IN THERE -assign it your new letter drive- and finish up and SOLUTION time.

No Events found!