Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

P

2 Posts

March 29th, 2008 05:00

Extremely poor Bluetooth reception - Any ideas? (m1330)

My XPS m1330 has the Dell wireless 355 Module and it's reception is appalling.

I have two USB Bluetooth dongles that use the Bluesoleil chip-set on my desktop computers and the range is about 3 meters for a reliable connection, and up to approximately 6 meters with a slightly unreliable connection.

The Bluetooth on my m1330 on the other hand is about a quarter of a meter, Sometimes less. Connection with my mobile phone software is extremely unreliable at a meter and I normally have to have my phone sitting right next to my laptop for it to connect (and stay connected).

I read the XPS notebooks had special internal aerials to help increase Wireless and Bluetooth reception, but I've seen no evidence of this.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Does anyone know how I might be able to fix this problem?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

I am running Windows XP with all the appropriate drivers installed.

10 Posts

April 11th, 2008 07:00

Hi,

That does not sound right.

I have a 1330 and Bluetooth works really well up to about 10 metres (30 feet) which is the quoted average maximum useful distance for Bluetooth.

Check the Bluetooth module under the plastic strip above the keyboard on the left of the laptop is connected properly and that there are no spade (slide on) connectors that have come disconnected.

Check the Dell link below so you know how to find the Bluetooth module on the M1330

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsM1330/en/sm/btooth.htm#wp1179885

My old 1210 had an on-board antenna on the Bluetooth circuit board.. I have not looked at the 1330 model. Maybe it has an external antenna connection and it's become disconnected and you may need to slide the connector back onto the board.

Looking at the Dell documentation I can find for the 1330, the only mention of any special antenna is for the built in WiFi... not Bluetooth. I would be surprised if the Bluetooth board does not have an on-board antenna like previous models. Bluetooth is only designed to work up to about 30 feet...anything beyond is a bonus.

If you still can't get it to work properly.. i'd get a Dell tech out to have a look at it...maybe your Bluetooth card is faulty.

Message Edited by auscraig on 04-11-2008 03:38 AM

3 Posts

May 13th, 2008 14:00

I have the same problem... I have two bluetooth headsets, both of which work fine with other bluetooth radios, but I always get problems with the bluetooth adapter on my xps m1330.. runs on XP. I wonder if there is a way to replace the driver with a newer version on XP...
No Events found!