Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2011 07:00

F8 fails to bring up Advanced Boot Options after Datasafe update.

Dell Datasafe just updated.  During boot-up, I press F8 (and Fn-F8) on my inspiron 15xx, but the machine simply proceeds to load windows as if I had done nothing.  Is F8 the right key, or is it something else on this machine?  I don't need to go back to the factory image - yet.  I woulds like to know it is possible, however.

904 Posts

February 21st, 2011 07:00

Hi JNO

The safe mode option is from OS. Keep tapping F8 (NOT Fn+F8) rapidly when you turn on the system, the F8 command will be recognised after the Dell logo and before windows loads hence during this period F8 needs to be pressed. Since its a small window we need to keep tapping F8 rapidly the minute we turn on the system.

3 Posts

February 21st, 2011 09:00

Repeated attempts from a warm boot (restart) were unsuccessful.  Three attempts from a cold boot (shut down, power up) were equally unsuccessful.  Is there a bios setting to make a bigger window?  Or could the F8 keystroke have been disabled in bios?

Jno.

3 Posts

February 21st, 2011 12:00

Finally got it to "catch", and got in successfully.  The window is sure short, but if you can repeat the key fast enough . . .

No Events found!