Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2010 16:00

FINGERPRINT READER USELESS ON PRECISION M4500 W7-64bit BROADCOM CHIP WAVE SECURITY

HI.

I was trying to use the fingerprint swipe reader on my laptop. It turns out it is useless except with the wave security software except for logging into the computer itself. It will not work with internet explorer, network logins or other applications.

A full description is here: http://notebooks.bigresource.com/Dell-New-Fingerprint-Reader-Owner-039-s-Must-Read-joChMJo1.html

On win7 32 bit, apparently Wave's PIM (Personal information manager) and Document Vault work. Wave software is notorious for being a complete useless, bloated piece of code that does nothing but slow down your system to a crawl. On 64 bit systems, they do not provide PIM or DocVault at all. Emails from them have confirmed they do not provide it, and maybe they will at some point in the future but not really.

The big problem is dell uses a fingerprint reader that is not compatible with the Windows Biometric standard. Why they do this on the precision is beyond me. I think some other brands are affected, but I used to have a Latitiude with a reader that did work as a WB. The implementation problem seems to be because the fingerprint sensor is slaved to the Broadcom USH device. As a non-standard, proprietary system, there are no software implementations from anyone (think PSQL 2009, an excellent program for this purpose). Not because they don't want to but because they can't get to the sensor. Even Wave, the one that has the rights to develop for this sensor, does not do it for W7x64.

So the questions for Dell are:

1.Why would you even sell a fingerprint reader of this configuration on a top of the line laptop, when you can use the same one I had on my lattitude, a standard internal USB connection that is proven to work on a 64bit environment?

2. Tech support from Dell said they provide the security enviroment to secure your computer. A useless process if it only secures the login, but not your internal documents or website passwords.

3. Can Dell show us a process to remove the connection to the USH device from the fingerprint reader and move it to another internal port in the motherboard? Can they provide the other kind of sensor as a replacement?

4. Can Dell force Broadcom to fix their software so it will be recognized as a windows biometric standard, so that other vendors can implement appropriate applications, just like every other fingerprint sensor in the market? This should be an easy software patch, but Broadcom probably does not want to loose out on agreements with wave/dell over their faux security implementations.

In my oppinion, selling items that are known to be incompatible with the system, and for which you charge an extra cost selecting, requires Dell to provide functional hardware at a basic level (i.e. basic communication with the operating system environment).

Tech support said Dell does not support other functions as the login functionality is working. They said it should be addresed by Wave. Well, I did not buy the equipment from Wave. I got it from Dell with basic expectations as to what it was supposed to do, which are clearly not met.

Please let me know if you have a solution. This kind of thing drives everyone insane.

2 Posts

April 6th, 2011 15:00

I'm having the exact same issue here. I'm wondering, there were 2 fingerprints to select when buying the laptop. I got the cheaper one. Would the expensive one be one which is supported by the biometrics framework?

19 Posts

June 11th, 2011 14:00

I opted for Fingerprint Swipe Reader on my new Dell Precision M4600 as well (broadcom based), and it's a joke!  I completely agree with Robert here.  Fingerprint readers must implement WIndows Biometrict standards, else it's just a fake login.  I'm begining to suspect if this even secures Windows Login.  Being a non-standard implementation, there's a serious problem here.

Dell has a problem here.  I know it was only a $15 upgrade (and yes Snakej, I would pay for a more expensive one if it will fix this).  But still, I feel I got robbed.  There are no documents security, no network logins, nothing with this.

Dell, this post is 2 months old and no a single reply.  I'm going to have to escalate this now.

2 Posts

July 13th, 2011 13:00

Gentlemen, start your engines: install this and KABAM: you'll have fingerprint support with Windows 7 out of the box, no Control Vault thingies! Works lovely support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

It's a little bit slow. Be sure to uninstall everything from the fingerprint before installing this ;) (also mentioned in the installer)

8 Posts

July 15th, 2011 16:00

WIll this allow me to authenticate websites or other web forms & software with my figerprint reader?

1 Message

November 11th, 2011 16:00

I tried it thank you

3 Posts

January 29th, 2012 18:00

this is no longer relevant.  download the latest from dell.  you need 3: drivers, middleware, and application.  Just UNCHECK the controlvault driver when installing the drivers.

This will enable fingerprint scanning for login on win 7 x64 m4600.  at least, it worked for me.

I would still really like to know if it is possible to use this fingerprint reader for useful things like website passwords, in addition to logging in to windows?

177 Posts

January 30th, 2012 10:00

I enjoy the Validity Sensor Digital Persona fingerprint scanner on Vostro 3750.

I use it for Win 7 log on and for internet explorer passwords.

It doesn't protect BIOS but is good enough to protect against casual hackers.

A manual BIOS password can be used to provide a higher level of protection.

2 Posts

September 9th, 2015 01:00

Try windows 10. it works fine.

11 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 08:00

Hello. I realize I'm about a few years past the original post, but perhaps this is still relevant. I've just bought the M4500, came w/ the Broadcom fingerprint scanner. I can't get the device to show up as a biometric device. It'll pop up in device manager after installing recommended Dell drivers off their support page(prior to reading this page), and the ST will identify as a system thing after installing the ST application driver, but outside of device manager it wont identify as even being there. Bought it used, not new, so don't have any discs that were supposed to come with it. Bad idea probably, grill me about it later. Any suggestions about how to fix the problem?

1 Message

April 16th, 2016 21:00

Dell Precision M4500, I format and installed W7 X64, Install all driver except Biometric device, I tried but fail. DELL_CONTROLVAULT-WINDOWS-BI_A00_R308326 not working or I can not,

Anybody please help me, I need to install please send me full steps.

11 Posts

May 25th, 2016 16:00

You need to first install ST MicroAccelerometer, I think either of them will work. Then the security device driver pack, then Dell system manager, then the security manager. You'll need to un-check ControlVault in any and all of these. Next you'll need to install the ControlVault software. For me it was a little tricky: I used the ControlVault driver marked Y2GT8_64 Bit_ZPE, and had to go into the extracted files and find the ControlVault setup launcher. I don't remember exactly where in the extracted files it is, but that's what I did and so far its worked. Finally, you need the Microsoft C++ Redistributable Package from 2008, I didn't have it installed so it gave me "Ordinal 6759 could not be located" If you don't have the redistributable, it wont work. I'd recommend making an abundance of restore points beforehand and an image as well as I was only able to figure this out after reinstalling WIndows about 5 times and losing a *** ton of files :/ Also, as a further note, I wouldn't install any windows updates, as it tends to crash the computer upon restart. If anybody has a better way to install this please let me know, as I would love a less-flimsy method for installing the software for the Biometrics and ControlVault. This is assuming that you're using the Broadcom Swipe Sensor

No Events found!