Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2012 17:00

FN + F3 Disable Touchpad does not work. Dell XPS L702X

Hello, I'm new in this forum.

The function FN + F3 that disable the Touchpad does not work, my laptop is Dell XPS 17 ( L702X )

I searched for my problem and the only thing I found was this: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19454265.aspx

I think my problems with the touchpad began when I connected a mouse to the USB port. It didn't work (it worked well before), and in control panel-hardware and sound-mouse , the system asked me to uninstal some driver or whatever. I don't remember, but later the mouse was working.

After that weird thing with the mouse, I noted that the touchpad was working bad. While I am writing, the cursor moves without touching the touchpad, it's annoying because it makes me write wrong because it moves to the middle of the writing while I am writing so it's a mess.

The second weird thing, the Fn + F3 doesn't disable the touchpad, the orange light turns on (the light on the top of the touchpad) but the cursor can be moved anyway, with and without a mouse connected.

I checked for driver updates, run a system check, checked for viruses, spywares, and I don't know what else I could do. I don't know if the problem with the mouse had anything to do with the problem with que Fn+F3 function.

I have not formatted or re installed windows 7, never.

In the Device Manager I have this: 

- mice and other pointing devices: - PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Please help. Thanks.

10 Posts

March 10th, 2013 07:00

Doh!!! Problem between the chair and the keyboard.....

C:\dell\drivers\R289237

Run the Synaptics executeable file.

The download only extracts the program to your drive. You have to manually install the Synaptics touchpad driver with its own executeable.

Fn + F3 now disables it =)

10 Posts

C:\dell\drivers\R289237

Run the Synaptics executeable file.

November 14th, 2012 18:00

Hi,

This issue occurs if the touchpad drivers are not installed properly. i would advise you to download the touchpad driver and the quickset utilty from the links mentioned below and check if the touchpad is working properly and check whether the Fn and F3 keys disable the tochpad.

Dell Quickset Application: http://dell.to/Xalsnf 
Dell Touchpad Driver: http://dell.to/QeM1oE

Also, make sure that the system BIOS is updated to the latest version (A19). You can check the BIOS version by following the steps below:

• Click Start > Type MSINFO32 in the search box and press enter.
  • You will be able to check the BIOS version on the system information screen that comes up.
If you have have any version lower than the A19, please download and flash the latest BIOS from the link below:

Note: Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:
  • Battery should have 10% charge
  • Adapter should be connected
  • No external devices should be connected.
  • All other programs should be closed and documents saved
Please reply for any further questions.

November 14th, 2012 19:00

Hello Abhishek,

I just downloaded and installed Dell Quickset Application and Dell Touchpad Driver as you told me.

BIOS is A19 (07-SEP-12)

I restarted after installations.

Fn + F3 don't disable touchpad, it is still the same as before. I really don't know why some day it worked fine and later is not working, I would like to have an explanation, I think I didn't do anything wrong.

Thanks for your help.

November 14th, 2012 20:00

Hi,

Sometimes the Fn key behavior can be disabled and if it is disabled you will be able to disable the touch pad by pressing only the F3 key. Please check if only pressing the F3 key disables the touch pad.

I would also like you to check if the touch pad is working fine while you are typing after updating the drivers. If the erratic cursor issue still exist please check the status of the touch pad drivers in device manager and keep me informed.

Please reply for any further questions.

November 16th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

Just wanted to check if the issue was resolved. Please do reply if you have any further questions.

November 24th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

the F3 alone doesn't disable touchpad. Fn+F3 turns on the orange light of the touchpad, but doesn't disable.

The erratic cursor is better, sometimes it moves but I don't know if it is coused  by my hand when is very close to the touchpad (maybe it becomes more sensitive).

I updated everything from Dell.

The touchpad is still unable to be disabled. Maybe I need to reinstall the original drivers from the Dell DVD instalation ??

November 24th, 2012 11:00

Actually, my hands and fingers are far from the touchpad and still the cursor moves itself inside the text I am writing, causing the mess in my messages (because I write looking the keys and not looking the screen) All the problemas still the same.

2 Posts

January 7th, 2013 16:00

I have exactly the same problem. Has any solution been found?

January 8th, 2013 07:00

I couldn't find any solution yet.

I don't want to format and re'install everything. I am living with this problem, dealing with it and accepting my laptop model is discontinued, and my warranty expired.

7 Posts

January 12th, 2013 07:00

I'm having this exact same problem with a fresh reinstall of Windows 8, all of the recommended software is installed.

1 Message

January 20th, 2013 22:00

I have the exactly same problem, I followed the same instructions but it didn't work.   Also, my Mobility Center touch pad doesn't work .

Is there some solution?

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2013 02:00

After Formating my laptop Dell XPS l702x after 2 years, I have the same problem, and i'll add the fact that my pad make my mouse randomly move while i'm using it...

I could live with that, but I really hope that Dell is able to help us fix this... I have great hopes in Dell, but i can see that this forum has not be used since a month...

Hope it's not dead, and we'll find a solution.

Just to tell: both links at the top of the forum that you gave to us are not working anymore... Well, not for me.

Hope to have a lot of news very soon. 

regards,

10 Posts

Just got the L702x unit. Love this machine. Gorgeous.

Unfortunately, clean install of Win 7 Pro, installed every driver I could find for the unit and the orange light comes on but the touchpad doesn't disable completely. I have had to cut and paste 4 times just typing this because of the cursor jumping around. Has anyone tried the Synaptics or Alps Drivers mismatch to see if they helped? I will and stop back with results.

10 Posts

March 10th, 2013 08:00

You are most welcome.  Control panel - Mouse - should find a new tab for the touchpad setting.

No Events found!